Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What Do You Do For A Living?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Default RE: What Do You Do For A Living?

ORIGINAL: tracemiller

Thanks finch. I'm a math teacher. Sometimes I feel like I don't get much respect but I still enjoy what I do. Gotta prepare the kids for the future, cuz they are the future.
Now trace i have a question for you... being a math teacher can you tell me why these students need math in the future ... yes u do need to know some math but theres math out there that are ridiculous and you know for sure u dont need it in the future. I guess its just something to learn when ur in school? Mean while its not needed further on? Bein a high school graduate and the worst math student i didnt learn much cause i didnt care for it. But yet again this is just me. And no i do not have a learning disability lol

Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i'll chime in a bit.

i'll say that math gets you through life. an understanding of math helps you understand credit and money management, among other things. How many americans carry massive amounts of credit card debt? Other factors contribute, but, i feel that a lack of knowledge of how the system works mathematically contributes.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM

but then u got those math problems like 8-778yhk+87hty98-97x=0

Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM

I work in the market research field.

-Data entry backdata projects
-Data quality control

Old 05-07-2008, 10:08 AM

I do admit I do not use a heck of a lot of the math courses I took, especially in college. But, I feel that those courses were necessary to get me where I am today. It is necessary to know how to solve problems in our day to day lives.
Do I have to do calculus derivatives every day? Absolutely not. I rarely even use simple algebra as a claims adjuster, but I feel all the math I took in High school/college was necessary for a well rounded education.
Plus the required courses in high school/college help individuals figure out what they are good at and what they are interested in for their future carreers.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Tracemiller, one of my favorite teachers in HS was my last 2 years of math (calc, analytic geometry, & more calc). Unfortunately he switched over & became a dentist. I bet he was a good dentist & made more money, but still...

Jkilla, that's just algebra. It's a TOOL to use when you get to the really good math.Good math is the foundation for just about everything in the technical & engineering fields. Just imagine someone designing the next bridge you drive over. Do you reallywant them to just kinda ya'know, "that beamLOOKS like it ought to be about strong enough..."

Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: finch13

ORIGINAL: tracemiller

ORIGINAL: gomarlins3

Just a teacher.
Me too. I'm a high school teacher.
What subject? Teachers are the most important profession on this earth, IMO. You guys don't get enough respect, or pay for that matter. That's coming from a recent graduate, so keep that in mind. We don't all hate you, lol.
Agree 1000000% and many of my ex-high school teachers are great buddies of mine now... We go drinking and all...

Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Just imagine someone designing the next bridge you drive over. Do you reallywant them to just kinda ya'know, "that beamLOOKS like it ought to be about strong enough..."
LOL!

i believe that math is taught in school as a way to learn critical thinking and see "outside the box". Also, advanced math helps stimulate your brain, and the brain is like a muscle, if you use it, it gets "stronger", ergo, your thinking abilities will be better (become smarter).
And in my case (mechanical engineering student), I need math... And love it for that matter... (I know im weird)

Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM

In math and engineering, it is necessary to learn principles and methods beyond what we use in everyday life. This alters the process of how you think and come to solutions. No education can be considered useless, you just haven't used that knowledge yet, or you may have and not even known it.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

ok i give up "i love math" [sm=sigh.gif]back to what u do for a living.

Quick Reply: What Do You Do For A Living?