Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

What GPS System should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Default What GPS System should I buy?

So....my wife couldn'tnavigate her way out of a wet paper sack. I mean, she has lived in this town all of her life and I still have to give her directions on how to get toWalMart. She used to get lost at least once a week until we had been moved into our new house for a few months. So I am seriously considering buying a portableGPS system capable of giving her directions to wherever she needs to go. Especially since we have a baby on the way, and she may need to go places without me driving her or riding in the car with her.
Does anyone have any sugestions? I have been told that units such as the Garmin do not charge a monthly fee. Is this true for all GPS units? Is it even true fromof the Garmin or have I been falsely advised?
Somebody school me on these things, please.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: What GPS System should I buy?

Go with Garmin. I have a c550 and its great. They do not charge monthly fees. I beleive the only ones that charge the fees are teh mobile phone providers.

I had a tomtom prior, and had to exchange it. It had issues.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 PM

I just got a Garmin Nuvi ..... I forgot the M#, but it cost $600 at BestBuy. The c550 is a better buy (my mom has it) if you want traffic updates and bluetooth. I keep it away when I'm not using it so the bluetooth isn't necessary for me. The traffic updates need a subscription.

The reasons that I got the one that I did are the large wide-screen and the slim profile. The c550 is shaped like a small CRT television.

Also, I plan to get a stand-alone bluetooth speakerphone in the future.

OMG ...... a woman that can't find a place to shop!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM

Since it's only you two guys on here .....

SUPERMAN!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

OMG ...... a woman that can't find a place to shop!!!!
Oh no...there is a pretty large shopping center (I guess you could call it an "outdoor mall" - it's got Bed Bath & Beyond, Belk, Best Buy etc..) about 4 miles away from our house. You only have to make a left turn out of our neighborhood, then one right turn and you can't miss it. So she shops there.
She just gets so frustrated that she can't get somewhere she's never been before, then if she does get there, she can't remember how to get home. I used to get annoyed, but she gets pretty upset about it so now I just tell her to call me if she gets lost and I'll try to get her home.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Oh yeah..and thanks to both of you. I have heard all good things about Garmin. Many field adjusters have them and love them. I'll look into a Garmin.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM

LMAO ...... so what you're saying is that you're gonna trade the $500 in tylenol that you'd need to help her over the next few years and get the GPS for free?!?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM

YES!! Either that or the price of the booze I have to drink to take the edge off[sm=icon_guiness.gif]! JK! JK!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:28 PM

1 thing ..... bring her to the store to play with them. They all have slight differences. I got mine because I like the screen, but I like the controls of my friend's better. He has one of the tiny Garmins with the scroll wheel that goes for ~$150. He just listens to it, doesn't use the screen for directions.

Another plus for Garmin is that it tells you when you will get there so she can give you an answer to "When is dinner going to be ready!" when you call her on the cell.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Yeah I want to do that, but I am thinking about this being a big surprise at Christmas. I have been looking online at BestBuy and they have lots of reviews.I really need to get her one that she can just talk to and not be monkeying around with the screen whilst driving. I saw one for about $250 that got great reviews and one user said it was so easy to use a child could do it. As shown in one of my above posts, there is a BestBuy about 4 miles from my house so I need to stop & take a look at them one day on my way home from work or something.

Too bad I do all the cooking in my house!

Quick Reply: What GPS System should I buy?