Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

what's your favorite cheap beer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: what's your favorite cheap beer?

When I was in the carribean I had a local beer called Stag...it was horrible. But they also sold guiness, didn't quite taste the same as the guiness we get here in the states.

Anyone ever notice that guiness tastes like **** out of a can or bottle? I think it tastes best when its draft only.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM

I think it is OK out of a can or bottle, but definitely nothing to write home about. Nothing compared to Guinness draft. I usually never buy it in cans or bottles unless they are on sale. I do buy Guinnes Extra Stout in bottles though and I think it is a lot better than the regular Guinness "draft in a bottle" or however they advertize it.
Has anyone ever noticed Heineken and Corona are actually skunky if you get them in the bottles? If you buy the cans there is an enormous difference. The cans don't taste skunky like the bottles do. I still think Corona and Heineken both are highly overrated though. I also only buy them if they are on sale. When I was in Thailand, Heineken in a bottle actually tasted good. It tasted nothing like it tastes over here.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:12 AM

PBR (pronounced P-ee-ber) is a good cheap bear (Pabst) I'm also a high life fan... Lately I've been getting bud ice since you can get a 24oz can for like a $1.20 or so....

On the other end of the spectrum guiness stout is great (much better in germany) and yeah Heineken in the states doesn't compare to the overseas stuff (I had it in germany/holland). I'm also a big fan of Fat Tire (Colorado Microbrew) but I think it's only available in the NW part of the US. If you like sam adams then a fresh fat tire would be an amazing beer...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM

I've been hearing a lot about fat tire. I need to go check out a new restaraunt we have in Jackson that supposedly has 50 different beers on tap. they give you a punch card and after you try all 50 you get some kind of prize (either a free beer or a free meal I think.) Wohoo! Thankfully you do not have to drink all 50 in one sitting. If I was still single and with no children though I would probably atempt to drink all 50. I would probably wind up in the back of a cop car before the night was over....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM

my fav beers are Shiner and Fat Tire.. wouldn't drink anything but those if i had to... maybe heniken if i was dying of thirst....

but Shiner/Fat Tire aren't exactly "cheap"... $8/$10 for a 6pack, which isn't horrible, but i think you guys are most talking about the 24 packs for 10 bucks? i'd rather get blazed then drink cheap beer

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM

...or drink cheap beer while blazed.....

But yeah...for me to categorize beer as "cheap" you must be able to buy a 24 pack for around $12 or less. I am sometimes shocked though at the price of 24 oz cans of beer I wouldn't necessarily call "cheap." Sometimes you could buy 6 24 oz beers for less than you could buy 12 12oz beers!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I think it is OK out of a can or bottle, but definitely nothing to write home about. Nothing compared to Guinness draft. I usually never buy it in cans or bottles unless they are on sale. I do buy Guinnes Extra Stout in bottles though and I think it is a lot better than the regular Guinness "draft in a bottle" or however they advertize it.
Has anyone ever noticed Heineken and Corona are actually skunky if you get them in the bottles? If you buy the cans there is an enormous difference. The cans don't taste skunky like the bottles do. I still think Corona and Heineken both are highly overrated though. I also only buy them if they are on sale. When I was in Thailand, Heineken in a bottle actually tasted good. It tasted nothing like it tastes over here.
Every Corona I've ever had tasted skunky.

In my area we have a resturaunt called the Winking Lizard, they have over 100 beers to choose from and have a draft of the month that includes a glass that goes with the beerif you choose to pay for it. We also have a bar call 69 Taps, obviously it has 69 kinds of beers, on tap.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

Every Corona I've ever had tasted skunky.

In my area we have a resturaunt called the Winking Lizard, they have over 100 beers to choose from and have a draft of the month that includes a glass that goes with the beerif you choose to pay for it. We also have a bar call 69 Taps, obviously it has 69 kinds of beers, on tap.
I'm jealous.

Have you ever tried Corona in a can? They just recently started selling it down here and it doesn't taste skunky at all to me. The same thing goes for Heineken. But every bottle of Corona I ever had tasted skunky....even in Mexico. Supposedly it is because they use clear bottles. The light that passes through the clear glass (or green glass in Heineken's case) supposedly skunks it. That's why the majority of beer makers use brown glass bottles. However, I have never had a Miller High Life or MGD that tasted skunky and they both come in clear bottles...

Old 03-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Modelo! I think it's cheap? Been a while since I bought beer.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM

HELL YEAH!!! my beer topic is running hard and strong!!! lol man u guys are pretty cool

Quick Reply: what's your favorite cheap beer?