Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

who replaces cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default who replaces cabin air filter

hello I am just curious about cabin air filters. I have never changed one in my life. never even thought about it really. I read that you are supposed to change them about 15000-20000 miles. But honestly who out there does this on a routine basis.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I do this on my Pilot and Saab twice a year. Yes maybe over kill but I have my "reasons".

Spring is a B%*%$ where I live, green pollen like you've never seen before. So you don't dare have a window down or fresh air coming into the car or it will get in. About the time it goes away, I change it.

Then in the fall, most all of the leaves have come off the trees and that I change it again.

Like I said, I'm on the "over kill" side and most likly could do it once a year. I just think of the impacts to the HVAC unit and feel better doing it twice a year.

Bottom line, just like any maitenance item, change it when due. Would you not change the air filter for the engine when due.....would you not change the oil and filter when due?

Don't take my comments wrong, you asked who does this on a regular basis and I replied.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 PM

I also do this twice a year. My sinuses thank me. The pollen in New Jersey this time of year is no joke.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
I do this on my Pilot and Saab twice a year. Yes maybe over kill but I have my "reasons".

Spring is a B%*%$ where I live, green pollen like you've never seen before. So you don't dare have a window down or fresh air coming into the car or it will get in. About the time it goes away, I change it.

Then in the fall, most all of the leaves have come off the trees and that I change it again.

Like I said, I'm on the "over kill" side and most likly could do it once a year. I just think of the impacts to the HVAC unit and feel better doing it twice a year.

Bottom line, just like any maitenance item, change it when due. Would you not change the air filter for the engine when due.....would you not change the oil and filter when due?

Don't take my comments wrong, you asked who does this on a regular basis and I replied.

I definitely didn't take them wrong. yes I asked a question and I was looking for opinions. like I said I never really thought about it and never checked them. I pulled the 2 out of my wives van and there was so much leaves and crap on them I couldn't believe it. Then I pulled the one out of my Honda and it wasn't as bad but it was dirty. Going to stop and get some new ones tomorrow and change them out. That is now on my routine maintenance list as it should of always been. Thanks

Old 05-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

I change the air cabin filter every 15,000 miles and also use 1Z Einszett Klima air conditioning cleaner in the A/C evaporator at the same time.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Change them on my 2 cars yearly also..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM

Yes, I've always changed the cabin air filter on a regular basis and never waiting for the full 15K miles.

The cabin air filter is changed for the same reason filters in your engine air and home heating/air conditioning need to be changed. Eventually they've trapped so much material resulting in restricted air flow and placing a strain on the blower-fan. A clogged filter can also begin to add an unpleasant odor as air passes through all the dirt, pollen, bugs, etc that's been collected.

Studies have shown that a restricted cabin air filter can lead to driver fatigue.

Cabin air filters help keep pollen, dust, soot, odors and exhaust gases out of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning system, including the duct-work and the car's interior. A dirty cabin air filter impedes airflow and can produce interior heating and cooling problems. It can also create health issues for any occupants, especially children, seniors and those with respiratory and allergy problems.

Bottom line: The cabin air filter is inexpensive, easy to replace and serves a purpose

Old 05-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

To get the leaves and that out of there, I use my shop vac. I have a piece of heater hose tapped into the end of one of the "tubes" that came with the vac.

That allows me to get the hose into the "slot" where the cabin filter fits into. I know, the redneck in me comes out ......a piece of heater hose duct tapped to the end of my shop vac. But again I can get the hose into the "case" and get most if not all of the leaves and junk out. Just be gentle so you don't "jam" the hose into the fins of the evap/heater core and bend the fins of them. I have to got look but I'm pretty sure I'm using 1/2 inch heater hose ~ 2 foot long.

Again, as I stated. I'm sure I'm on the "over kill" side of this topic . We each have our little "things".

Old 05-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

And I should add. Many places might offer two types of cabin filters......I can't spell but I think you'll get the idea.

There are "particulate" and carbon filters. The "particulate" ones filter out just that.....particles in the air. The carbon, they do the same but also help with odors. The carbon does cost more but if odors bother you then they might help. I use the "particulate" ones in mine.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Yep, I like the granulated carbon best myself

Poorman, isn't there a plastic grate at the intake to prevent leaves and larger objects from getting into the system?

Quick Reply: who replaces cabin air filter