Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Why the spoiler??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Default Why the spoiler??

Why do people put big unnecessary spoilers on their car.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Makes it look funky lol ? The spoiler is more like adding the look to the car, i don't think they do much unless if you drive more than 100mph then it give you more down force so the car will be more stable at higher speed.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Well, on a small car like ours, I think it looks ridiculous if overdone. A small trunk lid spoiler ( factory) looks fine. Function ? At 125mph maybe, but it really is more about getting noticed by others. Face it, body kits, spoilers, huge rims and other bolt on upgrades are really only cosmetic and meant to impress others that you are a serious "DRIVER" and that your car is "BAD". But then, I am 55 y.o. and not impressed by any of this nonsense....

Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Administrator

I agree with all of you except that...sometime some spoilers can really look good on some cars...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigpat
Well, on a small car like ours, I think it looks ridiculous if overdone. A small trunk lid spoiler ( factory) looks fine. Function ? At 125mph maybe, but it really is more about getting noticed by others. Face it, body kits, spoilers, huge rims and other bolt on upgrades are really only cosmetic and meant to impress others that you are a serious "DRIVER" and that your car is "BAD". But then, I am 55 y.o. and not impressed by any of this nonsense....
Most of younger driver like those funky stuff :-)

Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM

I'm young (20) and I find overly large spoilers look awful.. its like your begging for attention cause your car isn't good enough performance wise... Just my opinion though and everyone is entitled to their own...

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by kristech
I'm young (20) and I find overly large spoilers look awful.. its like your begging for attention cause your car isn't good enough performance wise... Just my opinion though and everyone is entitled to their own...

I was a street racer when I was in my 20's..(1976 to 1980 era)
Back then, it was all about building your car to win grudge races on cruise night. My 1969 El Camino SS 396 was well known by most other guys as a truck, until they got a faceful of 400+ h.p. blowing their doors off. Chevy big block was a great mill and a force to garner awe and respect from 1/4 mile fans.
Well, those days are long gone, and I suppose the tuner car builders have the same passions we all did with our muscle cars. I still think the whole scene is something we all grow tired of and move on. It is OK to grow up....

Last edited by bigpat; 07-31-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM

haha heck yes, I build muscle cars but now that I have my honda I'm more focused on it! And yeah its all about personal prefrence and what not, which is understandable.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by bigpat

agree 110%

I’m only 24 and I feel the same way. The only thing that I really like done is tint being lowered (not for the look but for lower center of gravity) and having good amount of power other than that all that other crap is a pure waste of money. It makes your car look stupid and yet makes it slower since your adding all this extra unnecessary weight. With our cars it's all about power to weight ratio that’s what makes you fast. The kids need to wake up and get back into the sleeper looks. I rather be underestimated at a stop light and make v8 guys cry when a little honda walked them from light to light. Psshhhhh with all that body kit mess. Now I do think front lips and rear lips look good but hella pricy for the good ones.

Quick Reply: Why the spoiler??