Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Thermite vs Car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Default RE: Thermite vs Car!

Awesome!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM

wow, sign me up for that.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:41 PM

nice....

Old 08-22-2007, 04:57 PM

I did this experiment in high school after nagging the chemistry teacher for years. Once we were on the topic of exothermic reactions, well... the rest is history. We used a chemical reaction as the catalyst to start the thermite, and used a ceramic bowl in a large bucket of sand to contain it. Needless to say, the bowl easily cracked into pieces and a large column of glass formed in the bucket of sand as the thermite melted relentlessly into the sand.

Good fun, not recommended to do on a large scale - they reaction tends to burn very hot by nature and spews chunks out in all directions.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jhowkins

I did this experiment in high school after nagging the chemistry teacher for years. Once we were on the topic of exothermic reactions, well... the rest is history. We used a chemical reaction as the catalyst to start the thermite, and used a ceramic bowl in a large bucket of sand to contain it. Needless to say, the bowl easily cracked into pieces and a large column of glass formed in the bucket of sand as the thermite melted relentlessly into the sand.

Good fun, not recommended to do on a large scale - they reaction tends to burn very hot by nature and spews chunks out in all directions.
Yeah, we did this to last year. We had it in a ceramic potting pot and started it with magnesium. It went right through the pot and into the pot with water in it, forming red hot iron among it spweing everywhere else. AWESOME!!!! is right!

Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 PM

FYI: I fixed my tag.

Was just looking back at old posts and wondered if anyone else had any experience with thermite other than myself....

Old 12-26-2007, 01:46 AM

go to wally world, find the cheapest, biggest etch-a-sketch there, and buy a couple of em. Crack em open, the powder inside is powdered aluminum. Theres one ingredient. As far as rust goes, well who doesnt know how to get a nail rusty. file the rust, or grind it, and mix the two together. light it with a sparker in a flowerpot, and put the flowerpot on something that it can burn through, a few feet in the air. keep rocks AWAY FROM THE THERMITE. NEVER PUT ROCKS BENEATH OR AROUND IT. they can heat up and explode like hand grenades. Never use anything that can start on fire, like wood. if you MUST, dig a small hole in the earth, clear away any grass, leaves, etc and light it there. thermite does NOT need oxygen to combust. in other words, fire extinguishers, water, and anything you would normally use to put out a fire will do nothing, and most likely make it worse. Esp water, like 00 said^. (well it does need oxygen, but the iron oxide supplies the oxy to the al) Assume that once its started, your putting it out till its done burning.
with that said, have some fun!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 PM

yeah i had thermite at my school too and i almost got arrested for taking some and lighting stuff on fire. lucky no cops can find me because i am the shadow

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM

hahah.. the shadow...

yeah we used to make this stuff at home in highschool and melt all kinds of crap....

this one kid said he used it on a payphone to steal all the quarters.. but i kinda doubt it. seems like you could ruin the quarters too.

Quick Reply: Thermite vs Car!