Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

1997 VTEC Suspension Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Default 1997 VTEC Suspension Drop

Hello,

I have a 1997 Accord EX VTEC

It is about time to replace the dampers on my Accord and I was thinking about installing a very mild drop while I am at it. While researching springs and struts, I found that there are numerous springs and assemblies for non-VTEC Accords, but none that I have found that list a VTEC Accord. I was curious if anyone could tell me why that is? Or if one listed for a Non-VTEC would work?

Also, would a drop actually assist in the handling or would it cause more problems with the front-end geometry? I understand that the ride would be stiffer.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Robert.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Supper Moderator

all 90-97 accords have the same bolt pattern...vtec or non vtec has nothing to do with it. You can use 93 accords strus and springs if you want. They are all the same

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 AM

I appreciate the information.

I was curious if installing a small drop would increase handling characteristics; especially since the stock set up seems to be fairly robust for a sedan. However, I figure that dropping the center of gravity on a double wishbone may be a nice upgrade...in your opinion, is there much of a difference or is it mainly aesthetic?

Thanks, again...

Robert.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Supper Moderator

Dropping the center of gravity is well worth it. When I dropped my cb7 I could take turns much faster and got little bit more traction...even know I don’t have LSD trans. But I did notice a diff. and it looks much better too

Old 09-20-2010, 04:35 AM

Thanks, again!

I noticed that there are several companies making drop springs...I was planning on going with Eibach. Any thoughts on those springs or other brands that may be better? Also, since the drop is fairly small, can dampers (such as KYB G-2s) with stock stroke be used?

Thanks...

Robert.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Supper Moderator

I wouldn’t use the Gr2's they are OEM replacement only. They blow out fast on any type of drop

Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM

I checked out the Tanabe NF210s which only have a 5% spring rate over stock and lower the car 1.5" in the front and back. Would any other suspension components need to be upgraded or could you just get a tire shop to make some adjustments after they're installed?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
I wouldn’t use the Gr2's they are OEM replacement only. They blow out fast on any type of drop
Thanks, g22cd5...do you have a preferred brand or type that would balance out well with the eibach pro-kit springs with the 1.5 inch drop? I am interested to hear your recommendation...

Thanks, again,

Robert

Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Supper Moderator

koni are some of the best shock/struts you can buy. thats what I would go with if I was in your position

Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by HondaAccord96
I checked out the Tanabe NF210s which only have a 5% spring rate over stock and lower the car 1.5" in the front and back. Would any other suspension components need to be upgraded or could you just get a tire shop to make some adjustments after they're installed?

Thos sound good...but I would grab yourself a camber kit. You can have them do a GOOD alignment. But the camber kit is a great fine tuning tool for lowered cars even know your going with a 1.5' drop...I still recommend a camber kit. B/c if your tire shop dose just a OK alignment you will eat up tires very quickly. That goes for the OP also grab a camber kit when you buy your struts and springs. There allot of ppl who will tell you..you don't need it but when you have good tires you don't want to have camber ware from a crap alignment.

Quick Reply: 1997 VTEC Suspension Drop