Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

97 honda accord lowering kit

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Default 97 honda accord lowering kit

hi guys after install 17' rims i felt my car look high now i know it is not true but still look hi so i decided to lower it about 2 inches
my michanic told me to buy Skunk2 Coilover Kit ..
is this brand is good or not ? and if not is there any other brand i can use it also do i need to change my choks or i need to buy it also
im not looking to spend so much ....
any help plz

Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Skunk2 coilover kit WITH sport shocks just a lil over 550. Skunk2 coilovers only run about 280. The combo kit is VERY reasonably priced compared to tien and other brand names. I use the shock/coilover combo on my 97. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this kit. I would also recommend that you go ahead and spend the extra on the sport shocks so you dont end up taking the shocks and springs off twice. Your shocks WILL wear out and start making noise if you add just the coilovers only... Seeing as how your car is 12-14 years old its time to replace the shocks as it is... The skunk2 suspension products are very stiff. Ride quality is not so great as you are bouncing around everywhere you go. But to me thats OK because the handling is very precise... and also the stiffer the shock/springs are the less you are going to bottom out and throw sparks... talk to your mechanic he probably would charge you the same to change the springs and shocks rather then to compress your old springs to change them out with the coilovers... if you are wanting to lower the car about 2 inches and do it cheaply then throw on a set of lowering springs only... there are lots of good brands and lowering springs are cheaper then a quality coilover kit... I would suggest also you do some research on front camber kits... after 2 inches of lowering you will go thru your new 17inch tires in a matter of months... I learned this from experience... Get a QUALITY camber kit if you drop your height more then one inch...

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up

Thank You BluePitBull , a very good feedback for that member..Glad to
have you around more if you have the time..we need helpers in here with knowledge
like your....

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails 97 honda accord lowering kit-cavslogo.jpg  
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bluepitbull
Skunk2 coilover kit WITH sport shocks just a lil over 550. Skunk2 coilovers only run about 280. The combo kit is VERY reasonably priced compared to tien and other brand names. I use the shock/coilover combo on my 97. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this kit. I would also recommend that you go ahead and spend the extra on the sport shocks so you dont end up taking the shocks and springs off twice. Your shocks WILL wear out and start making noise if you add just the coilovers only... Seeing as how your car is 12-14 years old its time to replace the shocks as it is... The skunk2 suspension products are very stiff. Ride quality is not so great as you are bouncing around everywhere you go. But to me thats OK because the handling is very precise... and also the stiffer the shock/springs are the less you are going to bottom out and throw sparks... talk to your mechanic he probably would charge you the same to change the springs and shocks rather then to compress your old springs to change them out with the coilovers... if you are wanting to lower the car about 2 inches and do it cheaply then throw on a set of lowering springs only... there are lots of good brands and lowering springs are cheaper then a quality coilover kit... I would suggest also you do some research on front camber kits... after 2 inches of lowering you will go thru your new 17inch tires in a matter of months... I learned this from experience... Get a QUALITY camber kit if you drop your height more then one inch...

well i dont want to feel the road while im driving ...if it really will be hard i think i wont go and do it.........of there is any other brand u can tell me about .......?
im planing to chang the mechanic told me he need to change the coilover and the spring ....so do i think to keep my shoks which is really good that something i have to do?
for camper kit i know i need to change it cause while driving even after imake aligment the car still go to the right side not much but i think i need to fix that
so what is recommended and i dont want to go so cheap but i dont think i want to sepnd so much .

Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 PM

If you decide to go ahead with lowering the car, you need to take it in for an alignment. They will tell you how much camber you have, and if it's in the 2-3 negative degrees range you will not need a camber kit to correct. You just need to rotate the tires periodically. The angle you should watch is toe, that'll take your tires down quickly, and it should be adjusted to factory spec. The extra camber will just give you some handling bonus, if it's in that range.
Also, right now the car should not be pulling to either side, so your alignment is off not the camber.