Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

98 Accord EX suspension question...needs replacement...(329K miles)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM
kaioman
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord EX suspension question...needs replacement...(329K miles)

Hey everyone...first of all I want to thank everyone who can help me out here.

I'm a new Accord owner. Just picked up a ONE OWNER '98 Accord EX, 4 Cyl (VTEC)...a very nice car, especially for what I got it for. I'm a big supporter of the reliability of these vehicles, and my odometer being at 329,000 miles is enough proof for me.

The previous owner was extremly ****, and had A LOT of paperwork when he sold it to me. I was happy to take the vehicle off his hands.

Anyways, it needs a little work...and I'm slowly fixing it up, but overall it's a phenominal car. The only major things that needed attention were [ul][*]Brakes need to be changed ASAP...front and back are warped and getting worse[*]Tires are shot...had the rears replaced (the worse of the two sets), and the fronts still have a little life left on them, enough to get back for the summer.[*]Most importantly, the suspension (i believe) is shot. It takes bumps terribly, and really sounds like there's no suspension at all. [/ul]That's why I'm posting here....I need information on the suspension systems of this vehicle, what I need to know about it...what I may need to get replaced, and what I should expect to pay for something like this.

Is this a DIY job? Or do I need to get it to a shop to get done? Do I need to replace springs and shocks/struts?

Assume I know nothing about this and let me know what you can regarding these suspension systems. I'm not an idiot, and I'm very familiar with cars and repairs, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

THANKS AGAIN!!!! I look forward to being a happy Accord owner...and hopefully getting to the half-million mile marker!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Default RE: 98 Accord EX suspension question...needs replacement...(329K miles)

Well there are a few approaches you could take. I'm going to assume that you want to remain stock ride height and ride. If that's the case I'd just replace the shocks/struts and all the springs. You could get a bushing set to be on the safe side but it isn't neccessary (unless they are really bad). What I would probably do is get some kyb shocks/struts (check our vendors they had them listed for about $35.00 each) and then a set of neuspeed springs (around $100 for all four) so you're at $250.00 for a stock height slightly more responsive ride. The bushing kit I have no idea of the cost on it but I do know you could get a polyurethane master set for about $125.00 I think or just get the pieces you want/need from one of our sponsors (Honda Parts warehouse) or a local dealership. Total parts for a nice comfy setup that I'd be happy with is less than $400.00 and that would give you the adjustable coilovers (that neuspeed setup I mentioned, wheelbrokera has them on hand). As far as replacement/labor goes the only special tools you'd need is a spring compressor OR buy new caps from the dealership with the bushings and have them assemble the spring/shock setup and if you had that done (probably 10-20 bucks per side) you're looking at an easy job.... If you wanted a shop to do all the labor I paid $250.00 to have mine changed out so if you bought those parts and paid full shop labor I'd say that you can safely assume for less thatn $700.00 you should be able to get a full shock/strut/springs/bushings replaced and installed.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
kaioman
Unregistered

Thank you so much for the reply...I'm real glad to hear it's not going to cost me a grand or more...I will definetly go this route, and the prices for the shocks structs seems completely reasonable.

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
kaioman
Unregistered

one more thing...

can you post me links to exactly what kind of springs I will need? (your vendors page that you referred to)

If not no big deal...i appreciate the help.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Wow, 329k miles on a 98? Thats over 35k a year... How much did you pay for the car, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM
kaioman
Unregistered

$2250, figured it was worth it, as I really don't care about the miles as long as I take care of it as well as the previous owner.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM

For that price you could put in a new motor and still be at less than wholesale....

Here's the link for the KYB Shocks (hopefully they are still on sale, either way contact them and let them know you're a forum member, also ask them about the bushings)

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Pri...m_35797/tm.htm

Here's the Springs/Coilovers

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/%2A...m_33448/tm.htm

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
kaioman
Unregistered

Man, thank you so much for helping me out here.

So I need:

Coil-overs (springs)
Shocks
Bushings

And that's it? I've emailed the coil-over guy, and in the process of emailing sparkplugs.com for the shocks/bushings.

Let me know if I'm missing anything....and Thanks again!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 PM

No problem man, that should be all you need for parts and that will greatly improve your handling/ride... Let us know how it goes and if you decide to do the work yourself we're here for that too!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

$2250?!?! You stole that car. Thats a ton of miles, but that is a CHEAP car. Nice find man.

Quick Reply: 98 Accord EX suspension question...needs replacement...(329K miles)