Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

AAAA! Problem with brand new Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default AAAA! Problem with brand new Accord

OK you'll have to excuse me, I'm freaking out a bit.

I just bought a new 2007 Accord VP. This is my first new car.

Anyway I've been trying to drive it gently due to the break-in period, whether that'sa legend or not, I'm doing it anyway. Then again my 'gentle' driving is probably other people's regular driving.

At about 600 miles I noticed a problem. On left turns the steering wheel shakes/hesitates/vibrates. I tried to replicate the problem over the next couple of days and discovered the following things exacerbate it:

-It's most noticeable when first starting cold in the AM (it's about 40 degrees F in the AM in NY right now)

-Hard turns, the more you turn the wheel the more you notice it, though it doesn't really happen every time. Maybe there's a 'sweet spot'?

-It's worse when under power than when coasting or braking. In the morning, under power on a strong left turn you can almost lose control of the wheel. After it warms up it's barely noticible

-There's a whiny, windy noise that sometimes accompanies this but it's faint. (Power steering pump?)

Power steering fluid level seems OK

Obviously I'm taking this to the dealer ASAP but what could it be? I want to be prepared in case they try to feed me some BS or tell me it's all in my head [:@]

Thanks for any advice!

PS I tried to do a search first but only found this which seems like a different problem:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_4094/tm.htm

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Default RE: AAAA! Problem with brand new Accord

That's a strange one......hopefully it's something as simple as a bad tire. I assume you've checked tire pressure all around? Make sure you can duplicate the condition and go with the tech or you drive with them in the car. You are the one that knows when/how to make this happen so don't just throw them the keys or "cannot duplicate customer's concern" will appear on the ticket.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It almost feels like when you are driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle and you turn the wheel too far to either side. Except it only happens when turning left, and you don't have to turn the wheel full counterclockwise to do it.

I'd love it if I could go with the tech and show them but I have to go to work! I don't understand why repair shops and dealerships aren't open 12 hours a day saturday and sunday and then just close tuesday and wednesday or something...
As it is I have to drop the car off sunday night and leave it there so they can start it cold and see the problem []

I did write a short note describing the problem and how to replicate it (basically a copy of my first post above). I will leave it in the car so the tech sees it.

I did not actually check the tires with a gauge but they look ok. I will check with a gauge tonight.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM

on that note ask them to please call you immedietly if the cannot reproduce the problem... otherwise your car is just going to sit there and nothing will happen till you come pick it up.... unless they are an outstanding dealership then they would call you anyway but that level of customer service doesn't seem to exist anymore.....

Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yikes you guys are scaring me- maybe I'll just take the AM off and sit there and wait to talk to a tech. I will still drop it off sun night though so it's nice and cold in the AM

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM

If I were you I would probably just drop it off sunday night like you planned and then have the tech call you right after he drove it and see if he could reproduce the problem, if he couldn't then you'll have to take time off to show him...

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I looked again in better light when I got home- The Power Steering reservoir IS low- about 50% of the way to the "low" line.

This was hot but I believe PS fluid expands with heat so it would only be worse when cold.

So now the question is- is there a leak in ths PS system or did they just screw up at Honda AND during the dealership final checklist?

Either way, I'm bringing it in- let them check for a leak and at least get it on paper in case this causes a more serious problem later...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What is the AAAA! for?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That's the sound of me screaming in agony that a car with 600 miles has a problem [:@]

Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

haha...fair enough.

Quick Reply: AAAA! Problem with brand new Accord