Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

adjustable/damper vs. springs ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Default adjustable/damper vs. springs ???

I have a 01 4cyl 2dr and i was wondering if its worth it to spend the money on Tein Basic Damper kit even if im not a racer. I am looking for a nice looking drop on my lil 17s but i have to deal with some snow in the winters. Is this reason enough to get an adjustable kit or should i just buy some aftermarket shocks(i already own dropzone springs). I would like to keep the life of my car, and keep it from "thunking". Im not really sure if i know what im talkin about....so any advice will help. thanks

Old 02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Default RE: adjustable/damper vs. springs ???

Upgrading to springs and dampers is usually the most reliable way. Stock shocks aren't made to handle the abuse from stiffer springs. The dampers provide the strength and comfort to operate under the conditions provided. No matter what you do upgrading to any sport suspension will make the car stiffer than stock, which means slightly less comfort. The Tein Basics and other low level dampers like them are made for the street more so than racing so they are a rather good investment. Also dealing with snow you can raise the vehicle an lower as needed without affecting the reliabilty of the shock.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:17 PM

^^^+1
The only issue with the Tein Basics is that they are only ride height adjustable. I know you said you aren't a racer, but because you still want comfort, I would go with a coilover that has has both spring and shock adjustability. If you happen to get a set without shock adjustability and you don't like the ride, you are stuck and you just spent a lot of money for something you are unhappy with (I've been there). Hope this helps!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the info 6thgen and sam...i was wonderin if you had any suggestions on the coilover that are both spring and shock adjustable? I have been set on gettin the Tein basics but deff. dont want to be dissapointed after spending that kind of money. Thanks again