Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

"chattering" rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default "chattering" rear suspension

I am in a similar situation as another thread regarding suspension. However, since my vehicle/issue is different, i figured a new thread made more sense than adding to that one.

I bought my 01 Accord in 2005 with 95k mi. on it. It now has 131k mi. (I live close to work ). The whole time i've felt like the rear suspension chatters too much above 60mph when hitting a small bump on a turn. The rear wills sometimes "skate" out from the chatter. I replaced the crappy tires that came with the vehicle (BF Traction T/A) and had some improvement, but not all. I have also replaced both left and right rear wheel bearing assemblies. Granted, this doesn't happen very often, only at high speeds, on uneven roads, on turns.

When I asked about replacing the suspension parts (shocks, coils, bushings), I was told that it wasn't necessary, that Honda suspensions are well designed to last a long time.

I had several mechanics at my dealership look for issues and drive it, no one found anything. I'm not a mechanic, but I am assuming my rubber bushings have hardened, creating some unwanted "play" and the rear shock absorbers may just need replacement. The cost of the shock absorber/coil assembly below is $150 (each side).

Rear shock absorber for my car:

Rear Lower Arm for my car:

I've seen some threads on here regarding rear suspension improvements, sway bars, etc. I am taking notes.

Any of the mechanics on here familiar with the "chattering" i am experiencing?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

My GUESS (& that's all it is) is the shocks have gotten too soft. The wheel bounces more, & loses contact with road, allowing it to chatter sideways in a corner.

Jump on the rear bumper & watch the car bounce & settle.

Does it bounce more than once before settling?
Does it do ANY twisting AT ALL while bouncing?

If either of these is true, get a pair of rear shocks. Along with whatever bushings are hardened/cracked.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the reply. i've done the bumper test, and it settles as it should. even my dealership said it was fine, no need for replacements.

they just told me to slow down on a turn but speed isn't the issue. i can be going the speed limit on an interstate and if the expansion joints on a turn aren't flat, it'll chatter. on a straight road, it'll bounce more than i want.

everything is stock. what are the recommended replacements for a better ride , better handling (brands, type, etc?)? i'm not looking to make passes on the track, just improve overall ride quality.

as a comparison, my 2002 Camry doesn't do this, rides perfect. i know the cars are different, but the Camry seems to have a much better ride (though a lot of body roll).

Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure what to tell you. Aftermarket suspension setups are generally stiffer & lower for cornering. Sounds like you want the opposite.

What size wheels & tires? Previous owner put on real low-profile stuff?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Factory wheels - 205 65R15, decent tires (BF Goodrich Traction T/A).

If I find a solution, i'll let you all know.

I'm curious if i'm the only one, which would lead me to believe something was wrong and replacing with Honda components would be the solution. if it's just how these cars handle, then my approach would be different.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Softer springs & shocks might help, but I don't know where you find that. Aftermarket stuff is all stiffer.

Maybe going to 16" wheels & tires (same outer tread diameter)? That's an expensive experiment if it doesn't help.

Using high air pressure in your tires? Softer might help, and it's completely FREE to try that out.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

i keep the tires at 36psi. the Traction T/A starts to look like it's going flat around 30psi. in the front. Tires are rated for 44psi. max.

36psi. seems to give me the most tread on the road without too much side bulge, and the fuel economy is stable. above or below and mpg decreases (based on highway cruizing).

if i'm doing something wrong there, someone let me know. i've tried between 30-40 and the chattering is the same.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

No, you're doing tire pressure better than most. Some people just pump it up to 44 because that's what's printed on the sidewall. You're actually adjusting based on something you can measure.

I would have guessed that lower would be better for chattering but worse for MPG. The other thing to consider is wear patterns.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, tire wear is an issue with an 80k mi. rated tire. Too high psi. and you wear the center prematurely, too low psi. and you wear the sides prematurely. I have my tires rotated and check on a regular basis (checked with oil changes, rotated every 6-9k mi.) because they are directional tirers, they can only rotate front/rear. The tires have 8/10 tread left. MFR states that while 44psi is the max, 40psi is the recommended max pressure to use.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Have u looked at the linkage to the knuckel. It might not be a shock or spring issue. On my 2000 accord the upper "a" frame at the front, the mounts where the two bolts connect it to the car. There was just so slight of play it would rattle a lot at little bumps not big bumps.

Quick Reply: "chattering" rear suspension