Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

coilover doesnt match strut

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Default coilover doesnt match strut

okay so i bought some coilovers from a guy that had them on a 94 prelude (same as 93 accord?) and the front slides right on there and is at the height it should be but not in the rear. when i got them all in and lowered the jack the car like sits on the tire (not just super low, it actually sits on the tire) and thats with the rear coilovers adjusted to there max height. im thinking its the rear strut cause the coilover just sits in the dip. there is also a pic of the prelude strut they came off of.but the bottom fork doesnt match up with my car .
any help would be greatly appreciated i am 15 yrs old and did it all myself and get license in 8 days!!!! in hurry
did i leave any parts out or just ..do i need new struts

thank
s http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/101_1514.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/101_1515.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/101_1512.jpg

Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Default RE: coilover doesnt match strut

to gain more adjustment at the bottom you will need to cut the perch off and weld a D-ring onto the strut housing with no cartridge inside (will explode).

it will look like that, you cut the perch with a cutoff wheel at an angle then cut off the rest of the stock perch and weld on a ring, or you can simply just cut off a lot of the perch near the bottom so you can make the perch sit lower. I only use the ring because i can weld it all the way around and not just spot weld (weak welds), that way i can run up to 1000 pound spring rates and ground control sends them anyways.

For the upper part if the spring dont match the upper strut mount, you can use an adapter for a smaller diameter spring like mine:

As for the rear, the spring is probably too soft or too short and may not be interchangeable between models.

the third picture doesnt look like a coilover in the sense that it doesnt have the adjustability like a threaded collar and perch like the fronts. thats the three pics you showed anyways.
the first two pics are the front struts and the third one the rear shock correct?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 AM

no they are actually all pics of rear struts the 3rd pic is just simply the prelude strut they originally came off of. the bottom fork peace doesnt match my car so i cant use them.

like i said the front goes on fine but the back is the problem. i figured i would have to weld something cause all the auto part stores dont sell them to be specially made for coilovers or even have that extra ring for coilovers. i even have a performance shop right across the street and they couldnt find anything so i kinda figured i would have to do some welding.

could you explain the perch,d-ring,cartridge more please i am not familiar with those names

thanks so much for the help

[/align]

Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: 1993_accord

no they are actually all pics of rear struts the 3rd pic is just simply the prelude strut they originally came off of. the bottom fork peace doesnt match my car so i cant use them.

like i said the front goes on fine but the back is the problem. i figured i would have to weld something cause all the auto part stores dont sell them to be specially made for coilovers or even have that extra ring for coilovers. i even have a performance shop right across the street and they couldnt find anything so i kinda figured i would have to do some welding.

could you explain the perch,d-ring,cartridge more please i am not familiar with those names

thanks so much for the help

[/align]

the perch is the piece that rotates on the threaded collar where the spring sits.
the d ring is a ring welded to the strut or shock that the threaded collar sits on.
the cartridge is the actual strut/shock absorber, the rear would be a shock body, and the front, macpherson strut uses a strut cartridge.
you probably just have the wrong parts all together

if those all go on the rear, its a completely different animal, it dont look like its interchangeable

can you take pics of the original one and the coilover side by side?

Old 08-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Are you sure that your springs aren't backwards? did you get the front and rear springs in the right area? (you probably did based on your post...) Also, make sure that you run those two adjustable mounts (the ones on the threaded sleve) all the way up to the top of the sleeve. They were only half way up in your photos.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 PM

i think the springs are in the right spot cause the guy told me the long ones go upfront to hold up the engine. but when i got them in there the front was sitting alot higher than it should be so i switched them and now the fronts good but the back seems to have no change. i ordered all new struts from the shop across the street and should be here bright and early in the morning . and about them only being half adjusted .. that was after i had already tried in all the way up

and for super euro .. heres a pic of my stock strut with when i threw the stock spring back on.hope it helps . http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...o/101_1516.jpg
but i will try the new struts tom. and let you guys know the news.

[/align]