Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Eibach spring upside down..help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Eibach spring upside down..help?

I have the same springs and same car. The clanking is normal, I guess. And when I have someone is the passenger seat it is reduced, and completely gone with people in the back. I asked about this in August. I want to say that it's a combination of worn spring seat isolators (the rubber pads on the perch and seat) and the fact that the stock shock don't dampen the spring enough and may cause the spring to bounce in the seat. They don't sell the isolators at auto stores, bu it was suggested to me to contact *I forgot the name of the company, but one of the upper end suspension companies* and say I didn't get them with my "coilover kit" and they'll supposedly send them to you for free + $5 S&H.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Also, the same bolt was a PITA for me too. Unfortunately I was alone and used my jack to hold the control arm while I pounded the bolt through.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Hey sorry its taken so long....but chris the difficulty we had with the bolt was that when we guided the top of the shock up and guided the two bolts into thier corresponding holes, the fork on the bottom of the shock was crooked compared to the bushing/hole where that lower bolt is supposed to slide through...so we had to turn the shock to line it back up and in doing that it moved the spring out of place of where it was supposed to sit in the seat....

Finch, we seem to have had the same problem! (( I have new KYB GR-2's..Do you have stock shocks ???))...but the back right side doesnt "clank" because i purposely hit bumps, if no one is on the other side of the road, on the right and left sides independently and the back left is the only one making noise......

Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Yes, I have the stock shocks (they haven't blown on me or lost much dampening after 6k miles). That's odd, my back right shock is the one that makes most of the noise, but if the bump is big enough both sides will do it. I think my theory about the springs bouncing in the seats. Now that I think about it, the springs are shorter and I remember reassembling the rear shocks with new springs without using a spring compressor.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:25 AM

I was able to get the rear set of coil spring isolators from my local honda dealership for $15.00. Energy suspension does not make a set but all it is is a piece of thick rubber so its not as important as the strut rod bushings.

If you were able to assemble the shock and spring WITHOUT a spring compresser then I would imagine that yes, your shocks are too long and the coil is ossilating in the seat when the shock gets fully extended. Sounds like its time to get some shorter shocks.

I have two noises, one from the front when I make a hard turn (left or right) at slow speed. I'm hoping its not a ball joint but it probably is. The second is the rear but it sounds like a bushing slipping. Both of these noises only happen when its cold outside ( in the 30's) and go away after some time driving, usually five to ten minutes.

Mustang: so you have tested by hitting a bump with one side at a time and the left is the only one that makes the noise. Can you describe the noise more. Is it metal to metal? Is it several of same noise in rapid secession? Is is a solid or hollow sound? Loud or soft? Anything? It might be a bushing or ball joint.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Almost A Senior Member

OHSMustang, it's been four years since you installed this spring/shock combination. If you are still on the forum can you send an update on how they have done for you?

I am also looking at this combination (Eibach Pro-Kit / KYB-GR2) and would appreciate a long-term review.

Thanks. John