Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Front Sway Bar Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Default Front Sway Bar Bushing

I have a 1995 Honda accord 2.2L (No the VTEC if that matters). I have been back and forth to my local parts stores over the past week trying to get the right part. We came to the conclusion that their system was not accurate. And I was never able to find the right part from any of these stores.

The Bushings that are currently on my car say "22.2" on the side, and are black. The physical measurements are:

Length (Left to Right) = 2 & 1/8" inch
Height = 2" inch
Width = 1 & 3/8" inch thick
Measurement from bottom of bushing to the bottom of hole = 3/8" inch
The hole = 7/8" tall

Everyone I've spoken with says that even though it says 22.2 mm on the physical bushing that is currently on my car, that 22mm is the basic measurement and will work fine.

Any thoughts on this? I found some on ebay and the seller (a suspension parts store) said the measurement were nearly identical but not exactly what mine were. But the ones he was selling didn't have 22.2 embossed in the plastic.

All of the selections we went through at the parts stores were too small. Some were literally 1/2 the size of what I needed.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are two types of bushings for the anti-sway bar bushings.

First is the main bar bushing which guides and allows the bar to twist in torsion. This bushing doesn't wear out in my experience, but is easy enough to replace. Unless worn, I would leave them alone. Check rockauto for a replacement part. A variation of 0.2mm would make no difference as the part is compressed by the retaining bracket.

Second bushing (this one wears out frequently) is a stack of washers and rubber bushings that connect the end of the anti-sway bar to each lower arm. If worn they allow crunching, rattling sounds primarily when turning or going over bump on one side.

good luck

Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe it's not the stock sway bar?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 AM

I have included an image of the the Bushing that I removed from my car, as well as the stack of washers that are also on the car.

I originally assumed that when the mechanic said the "Front Sway Bar Bushings" he meant the first picture. But after inspecting all of the connections, I think he meant the second picture (the stacked washers). They look pretty worn out. And the symptoms you described are the symptoms, then I will definitely fix those first then move on to the other later.

It's definitely the Stock sway bar. That has never been repaired or replaced. I've looked at the car's records.
Thanks

Front Sway Bar Bushing

Stack of washers Bushing

Last edited by brandon0409; 03-05-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Texas Honda has it right (like always)

Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Crispin,

Do you agree with Texas that I shouldn't worry about the Main Bar Bushing and focus on the Stacked bushing that connects the sway bar to the lower arm?

If you haven't yet, take a look at my pictures and give me your opinion.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by brandon0409
Crispin,

Do you agree with Texas that I shouldn't worry about the Main Bar Bushing and focus on the Stacked bushing that connects the sway bar to the lower arm?

If you haven't yet, take a look at my pictures and give me your opinion.

Thanks for the help.
I did look at your pictures before I posted earlier.
The ones that wear out are the ones on the end.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

Okay. Thanks for the response. I think I'm just going to put the bushing back on and change out the Main Bar Bushing.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by brandon0409
Okay. Thanks for the response. I think I'm just going to put the bushing back on and change out the Main Bar Bushing.
Are you saying that backwards or just doing the opposite of what we all suggested?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM

I'm not a mechanic. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. I thought you all said to replace the ones that looked like a stack of washers. And the other one, that wraps around the bar were typically fine.

I'll replace the one in the picture below. If that's not what you meant, please let me know.

Stack of washers

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Bushing