Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

honda accord 94 lx

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question honda accord 94 lx

hey guys my front left wheel is not straight, so that cause my tired to wear out faster on the side. how can i put my wheel straight so that wont happen. and also i have 17 inch rims, and im wondering what kind of tires and size would go good for those rims, keep in mind my car is lower one inch and half to the ground.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

When a wheel isn't straight, it wobbles. Gotta straighten or replace the wheel.

But your description sounds more like the suspension is out of alignment. First go to an alignment shop. If it's a result of bent parts, they should tell you about that after they measure things.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I had change tires a lot of times, and is always for the same reason. And I took the car to an alligment place, and they are telling me that I have to put a spacer to take the wheel out more, and that way the car is going to be better. What do u think?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I can't tell if that makes sense or it's smoke & mirrors. Did they tell you what's out of alignment? Caster? Camber? Toe?

How were the tires wearing out? Inboard shoulder? Outboard shoulder? Feathered or cupped?

Where do they plan to put the "spacer"? Spacers (to me) sound like something that get's sandwitched between the brake rotor & the wheel. Doesn't sound like a proper fix to me. If they're actually talking about adjustable suspension parts ("camber kit") then that sounds more like it.

I guess a more complete explanation is what I'd ask for.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well the tire always were out inboard, and well when i took the car to that place they told me, that the tire is like that is because the car is too low, and usually that happens to really low cars. so they told me that in order for that to be fix, either i have to raised up or put that spacer to take the wheel out alittle bit out..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Well, since I can't see it over the interweb wires, I have to go by what you write.

"they're out" & "spacers" can mean any number of different things, so they're kinda useless terms. There are specific terms that actually mean something about wheels & suspension angles.

Offset = dimension from tire centerline to wheel mounting flange face. That comes from buying the proper fitting wheels. "Spacers" is the term normally applied to a plate (couple mm thick) that you put inbetween the brake & the wheel.

Camber = angle of the tire compared to vertical. Viewed from the front of the car...
positive camber = wheels look like this: \==/
negative camber = wheels look like this: /==\
There's not much adjustment for camber, so he might be talking about installing adjustable upper control arms ("camber kit") in order to make that adjustment.

Toe = tires angled towards or away from each other when viewed from above the car.
Toe is adjustable by threading the steering tie-rods in or out.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well the tire looks like the positive camber.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

OK, then hopefully the shop is telling you that you need a camber kit. That will allow them to adjust the top of the wheel inboard to make it more straight.

The factory upper-control-arm doesn't give them much ability to adjust camber, so there's a couple things available to make that adjustable. Look up "camber kit" in google or ebay or whatever.

Along with camber, they'll adjust toe. When a car is lowered much, the camber & toe get all out of proportion leading to tire wear. Like Angelo said in your other thread, you'll want to find an alignment shop that deals with lowered cars. Some places just shake their heads & say you're not supposed to lower the car.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

lol.. @ jimblake u are so right. every place that i take the car, they are like lower cars are always with problems. but u know what, this spot that i took the car to, they did told me i need a camber kit.. so i think that is right... thank you very much jimblake. well im hoping that is not that much money. cause i want to other things to my car as well. so lets hope is not that expensive.. jimblake can u recomend me a good spot where i can get that for cheaper....

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, this whole thread is more about suspension, not so much about TIRES. So I'm gonna move it to the suspension area...

My Hondas aren't lowered, so I don't really know who's got better or cheaper camber kits, or who to avoid...

Search this Thread