Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Which lowering springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Which lowering springs ?

I know nothing about wheels really, but i have heard of ppl slightly cutting their fenders to provide room for it to tuck the wheels in, and/or rolling the fenders professionally.

I can't view the file (at work, blocked), but this was linked in another thread on another forum bout the same topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHM-A_aFCoY

Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: dfeat01

Hey i went to this shop to try to lower my accord but the dudes there said that my offset was off. I bought some 18's about a year ago and yea i guess the offset is off. He said theres no way of me fixing that. The fender will grind up against my wheel if i drop my car. Of course I wouldnt want that to happen. So do any of you peeps know or had any similar problems? I believe my tires are 225/40 r18. I can check and let ya'll know if you really need to.

2001 Accord LX 4cyl AT.
The tire size sounds right ..... do the rims stick out from the fenders??? Also, you should be able to get about 1.5 inches drop even if it is under the fender. The stock wheel wells are huge!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 AM

Yes the tires do stick out from the fender well. Not by much though maybe about .5-1 inch. Ive noticed that the fenderwell is huge and I thought it wouldn't be a problem to drop it at least 1.5 inch to cover that gap. What do you think the appropiate drop for avehicle with 18's should be? Im at work now so ill try to upload a pic later on when I get home.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

the rim size doesn't make a differance. It's the overall diameter that matters and your tires should be about the same size as stock ..... so it doesn't throw off your speedometer. Judging by my car which is a bit less than a 2" drop, I'd think that 1.5 would be ok, but you'd want fairly stiff shocks and springs to protect your car from the tire hitting the fender. Also, you DO NOT want a progressive spring rate for this setup, so a good coilover with adjustable dampers would be best ..... kinda like mine ...... Tein SS. Another good combo for this setup would be Ground Control coilover sleeves and Koni adjustable dampers. I almost got the second setup, but I prefer a true coilover where everything is manufactured to work together.

There is a bigger concern of rubbing while turning than hitting the middle of the wheel well.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Hmmm...Arent coilovers expensive? I would rather do things the smart way and not the hard way. I wouldn't want to cut my fenders just to drop my car. On the other hand I wasn't trying to spend over 1500 on a suspension because im not into the whole racing scene and from product reviews I have read looks like coilovers are more for racing than they are for looks? How much did you pay for your whole suspension and do you have a pic of the what it looks like?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:23 PM

well .... I paid 900 for the coilovers ..... total about 2000 on my entire suspension ..... regardless of how you do it, dropping the car will cost you about 1000 bucks .... you need springs, shocks, camber adjusters (I'd highly recommend the upper control arem type for the front) and an alignment

Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

Between my helm manual and this link http://www.filtsai.com/accord/suspension/index.php i think i can tackle it. Just worried about compressing the spring hehe. Is an impact wrench necessary?
Personally I won't use an impact gun on a spring compressor (unless it's really late at night and I've been fighting with the fricken thing for 4+ hours...not that it's ever happened.... *L*) The main reason I say this is because to me there's not enough control and if one of those compressors broke or slipped off, or the nut bound a little bit and sheared from the impact guns force it's bye bye time for whatever is in the path of that flying object.

I'm paranoid what can I say

Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM

LOL..... personally, I'd take the assembly to my old highschool and use the wall mounted compressor that was bought with money from a car that was donated that I rebuilt the engine to. I think that I'm the only person to ever make that shop any money .... but since it's a school shop, it turned into the compressor, a headlight aiming kit and a few other toys.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM

either that or just take all the shocks/springs down to a repair shop and they'll do it for you for like $40.00 usually.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

either that or just take all the shocks/springs down to a repair shop and they'll do it for you for like $40.00 usually.
Is that for all four? Well I guess I could call, but if that is for all four at least I have a baseline. When you say do it, do they also put the new spring/strut all together to be put back in car? I don't plan on doing this until my struts are shot, but I just like to do research so when the time is ready I know what needs to be done.

Quick Reply: Which lowering springs ?