Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Newbie suspension questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Kelsen
Unregistered
Default Newbie suspension questions.

Greetings.

I own an '01 Odyssey and an '03 Accord (4 cyl LX). Both have lots of miles, and I intend to keep buying Hondas.

I am looking at purchasing an '04 EX V6 w 6 speed. The seller describes it as having these attributes:

-Neuspeed Springs
-Koni adjustable Shocks
-Greddy Evo2 Exhaust
-AEM Cold Air Intake

I believe the first two would have the effect of lowering the car. Can anyone give me (or point me to) general information about these modifications? Should I consider this car as having been pushed hard? The current owner has had it for 9 months.

It looks very nice, and I don't mind it being lowered; I just don't know enough about modifications to judge potential harm. I know that a CAI generally does not help at all with respect to a daily commuter, but do I need to worry about making it stock again to aid in longevity? I'm paying to have a professional inspect it, but they won't know if there is excess internal wear, or likely to be. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." -- John Barrymore

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/7893D1C191EB4B20AB5662C60FC63FB0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/A8A209E201AA479E9E12E0600654AF02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/FAB8503AA8184F85B80F8C3F1B979A7B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Newbie suspension questions.

Do you know if the seller did the mods? Or if he had them installed? Or if he bought the car as it is. If you haven't already, I'd press him hard on why he's selling it after only 9 months.

The springs/shocks are quality. Neuspeed makes different springs, but if you like the amount of drop and the ride, then you have the right springs.

The CAI does make a big difference, even or especially on a daily driver. I shouldn't have any bearing on longevity, nor would the exhaust. You may as well leave those alone.

As far as discerning if it was driven hard, it's hard to say. Ask the seller how many miles are on the tires and brakes, and see if that matches w/ normal wear when it's inspected. Your best answer may be a gut feeling on how you percieve the seller. If he/she seems half-way responsible you should be ok. I drive my Accord hard (don't beat it) and I think the car likes it. All my Hondas for the last 27 years seem to like being pushed.

Just my 2ยข...

Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That Accord looks extremely clean to me. When my Accord was passed down to me at 189K I drove it hard everyday until I totalled it at 235K, no problems and it was an automatic.

- Ask the seller why he's getting rid of it so quickly i.e. kids, moving, etc.
- Carfax the VIN, if you PM me with the VIN I can email you the report.

My instinct tells me that since he put quality parts on along with the cleanliness of it, he didn't drive it harder than a Honda should be driven.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Kelsen
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies, fellas. You've made me feel a little safer.

I talked to this young man at some length, and he has another car. He wants to get rid of this one because there is a note on it. I am 500 miles away from the car, so I'm going to have to take his word for things - as well as the report of the inspection by the professional. CarFax has already reported that there are no known problems with the car. The first owner had it as a lease for three years, and this young guy has had it for about 9 months. It has 48,000 miles, which is awfully young for a Honda. My '03 Accord has just over 119,000.

He did install the modifications himself. He tells me the drop is about 2", and he didn't get an alignment after installing the parts; now I haven't done any sort of modifications to a car since I put a Fenton 3-speed stick on the floor of my 1965 Biscayne, but I've looked around, and I understand that after a suspension change like this, there should be an alignment. I'm going to ask him to get one now. His not getting one makes me wonder if he knows as much as he thinks he does.

I live in Alabama, and some years it rains heavily. Do I need to worry about that with respect to the CAI?

The seller reports that he did the 45,000 mile service on the car, and replaced the tires then, as well as the brakes. I don't know if he meant rotors as well as pads, though; the ad says "new brakes along with a brake flush". I'll have to ask.

In any event, in talking to the young man, I think that he's on the up-and-up, and the car looks even better on the inside!

Thanks again for your replies.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
All generalizations are bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/21594763FFA346D1BDB7432F18B33374.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15585/EB29B8C0BE064C92A3AF297DEDAE1560.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Definitely make him get an alignment before you drive it 500 miles home. Also, I would think about getting a camber kit front and rear so you don't have nasty tire wear if he didn't install them.

No need to worry about rain and a CAI. Hydrolock is more of a marketing scheme than a serious issue. Just don't drive through huge puddles that will fully submerge the filter and you're good to go! If you're really nerve wracked about it, you could always remove the 2nd half of the CAI and turn it into an SRI. Good luck with the car (if you buy it)!.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Kelsen
Unregistered

Just to close out this thread, I bought the car - but had a little bit of adventure in doing so. The young man eventually replaced the shocks and springs with the original parts, in order to get the camber bacck in spec. Seeing as I'm 50 years old, I didn't really need it dropped, so I was OK with that.

I bought the car, and I am pretty happy with it, but I find that I now have a problem with the suspension. Sigh. I am experiencing sounds that to me indicate that the springs are not doing their job (that is, hard hitting sounds when going over bumps), and the left rear damper is leaking oil. I guess I screwed myself. I am going to take the car to get diagnosed as soon as I get a chance, and will no doubt (with my luck) wind up buying parts similar to those I made the kid take off (he's sold them, of course)... Ah, well. Live and learn.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the problem is, but I am really enjoying the car.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Do you really think George Washington, Sam Adams, Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson would approve of the Patriot Act?