Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Newbie wants to lower his car

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Default Newbie wants to lower his car

Hello fellow HAF members,
this is my first car and the first Honda that i have actually driven. It is a 2dr 4clr 1998 Honda accord. I live in New York and as the summer approaches i have had that sudden urge to hook up my car. I am looking to drop my car and I wanted to know if anyone in New York would be able to tell me what would be the appropriate drop due to the pot wholes and such. I also wanted to know how to go about it, keeping in mind that I am a student and cant afford to go all out.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Coilovers offer the best drop, but it is also the most expensive. A spring/strut combo is your other option, but don't just throw lowering springs on stock shocks.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=12897

you want to read this thread.

also, i'm moving you to suspension since it's what you're looking to do.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Default thank you guys

[QUOTE=keep_hope_alive;199466]https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=12897

the forum on suspension was quite helpful gave me a better idea of what my options were and what were the implications...think i will save up and go with coilovers which is more expensive but better in the long run for the health of my car.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

that thread helped me as well. mostly, i was curious what brands were worth looking at. i'll be making a suspension purchase shortly.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I have a 94 honda accord lx, and yes I live in this **** up city, with a lot of potholes. Well what I did to my car to lower it, I just cutted the front and the rear springs one inch and a half, and it works really great. I will post pics of my car soon. As soon is finish. If u want just let me know if u want to do that and I can refer u to my mechanic for a cheap job. Just let me know bro.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 AM

@styles, so how much did it cost you to cut ur springs and have long have you had it for? i am not too enthusm about the idea but its worth looking at.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Default to keep_hope_alive

my job is not gonna be until, end or mid summer as i just changed my front light, grill, did my sound system and added a 4'in exhaust (will be posting pictures soon) but i would like to know how much it cost you or its gonna cost so i can save up a bit.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

i have been looking at the Eibach Pro kit including front/rear springs and dampeners (non-adjustable). I've also been looking at their front/rear sway bars. however, i'm really not looking to lower the car that much (1.5-2"). Those kits run $650-900 depending if it includes the sway bars.

For a more subtle drop (.75-.5"), I've also been interested in H&R OE Sport springs with Koni STR.T, Tokico ILK, or Eibach Pro dampeners (non-adjustable). A set of new H&R springs is about $250-300. New dampeners is about $200-300. (sets of 4). I can get this pairing for about $500 total + shipping. Add in an alignnment, and if no camber ajustment is needed, i could be good to go for $550. But if I do need camber adjustments, i'll have to spend another $350 (both axles + alignment). While it seems expensive to adjust camber, my tires run $500 for the set, and are rated for 80k mi. I want them to last and i want the performance.

What's holding me back is I really want a 1.5" drop in the front and a .5" drop in the rear. But I haven't found that kit or the ability to buy springs in sets of 2 and not a set of 4.

Adjustable dampeners run about $150-200 each. Too rich for my blood and i'm not looking for adjustability.

In all, I have a budget of $800-1000. That should include all parts and alignment(s) and i'm doing the labor myself. Any extra will go towards new ceremic brake pads and an AEM intake or sway bars.

If you lower the car, don't forget to check your camber and alignment, after which, you may need to pick up camber adjusters ($150 each axle). Alignments are about $50 each and you'll need at least one, more if you need to adjust your camber.

Take the time to do it right. Shortcuts will cause premature tire wear, decrease handling performance, and decrease safety. If you're looking to drop your car more than 1" and you don't have at least $700, you're cutting a corner somewhere. That isn't a budget to "go all out" but to buy decent quality componenets and do it yourself. to "go all out" your budget should be >$2000.

Don't pair shorter springs with stock dampeners. Replace both at the same time and make sure the dampeners are designed for the drop.

My prices above are based on internet sites such as TireRack.com, and DIY labor. I haven't called my local shops yet, but I will. If you're paying a shop to do all of this, you should buy the equipment from them and probably add another $500 for markup and labor.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 04-01-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

well my mechanic can do it for 50 dollars, afcourse if i tell him that i know u. and to be honest my car is lowered buy my shocks are not that good, so everytime i hitted a hole you can feel it, but if you have goos shocks it shouldnt be a problem at all. just let me know bro.. i will post soon sone kodack of my car, so you can see....

Quick Reply: Newbie wants to lower his car