Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Rear Struts Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rear Struts Removal

Hello again. Pretty sure im putting this in the right spot this time.

Does anyone have a link,video or pics how to correctly remove and install rear struts on a 98 accord? I know the interior part with folding down the seat etc.. but when I took the struts out and reinstalled them it def was not fun and didnt really seem to be the proper way. Someone suggested taking off the brake calipers.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hondamagic

Here are the pages of the Service Manual for the rear Strut R & R

http://freepdfhosting.com/ce6fcab549.pdf

Let me know if this is what you need.

Last edited by crispin; 06-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, Thank you Crispin! Exactly what I was looking for. By mistake I came across this when I was trying to figure out something in the manual. This should help others I hope.

Installation: Suspension

Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

On the above link I dont feel that step 4 is necessary. Second I didnt see were it was said that you have to "pry" off the panels of each side of the body (above the rear seat, between the back windows and rear window. That cover pops up and is held in by clips. Be careful or they will break.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Finally I have completed replacing the struts on the front and rear of my 1998 accord. I found out a few things along the way I'll share. With the front struts its real important that the strut mount is set properly on the spring so the grove on the strut will fit into the fork so it will properly fit in the car. Second the front def can be done by yourself which I did but the rear i would say requires to people unless your in a autoshop with special tools. In one diagram it tells you to take off the stabilizer link to be able to remove and reinstall the rear struts. This I found was a mistake and almost impossible to get tight if you actual get it loose and im talking using a impact gun. The problem with the stablizer link is the bolt has a hex slot witch keeps the bolt spinning when you trying to loosen and tighten unless. I ended up having to go to a shop where they have a special tool or method to tighten it back up. Overall I wouldnt really want to do the rear struts again because it was such a pain but to save the money they charge to do it I might. The front really is simple. Just make SURE you put everything off and put it back on the exact same way. Thanks for everyone for there help, advice, links, diagrams etc.. I have another job to tackle but will put that in the appropriate section