Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

springs or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:07 AM
Default springs or coilovers?

i got a 99 accord on 17in rims w\ low profile tires. i just finished puttin my intake and exhuast on and now i wanna drop the car. im thinking of going around 2in in the front and around 1.5 in the rear. im a little undecided what to go with either springs or coilovers? i was thinking of getting coilovers or possibly h&r springs but if i do get the springs will i need to change my shocks? what will give a better ride in your opinion? all thoughts will be greatly apperciated. thanks guys

Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Default RE: springs or coilovers?

If you want a smoother ride, go with coilovers. Lowering springs will make your ridevery stiff. Too stiff for my liking.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM

now with coilovers do i need to change anythin else or i can use my stock parts and just change out the springs? i want to lower it around 2 in the front and 1.5 in the back. also is it hard to adjust the coilovers or not really? any brand you recommend? sorry guys for all the questions, its greatly apperciated

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 PM

If you buy a complete coilover setup like I have, You don't need to swap anything. The springs are included on the struts/shocks. With adjustable coilovers, you can adjust the height to your liking and lower your car up to 4 inches. As for price, my K Sport Coilover kit ran about $785, but you can buy a decent brand for around $400-$600. Installing coilovers can be tricky if you're not familiar with suspension components. I would recommend hiring someone to do it. Here is a pic of what I have:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7488/ED895F3064714C83932534ADDF87DC67.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 02:48 AM

thanx bro i reali apperciate your info. 1 last question, how is the ride? because a lot of people told me the ride is gonna suck is that tru? any brand you recomend in the 400-600 range?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 AM

The ride is a hair stiffer than stock. But with the setup I have which are dampening coilovers, I can actually adjust how stiff I want my ride to be. But you want find that adjustment on a $400-$600 set of coilovers. The ride is still going to be good though. Here are a few links for you:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/nex_ss_coilovers.html
http://www.hopupracing.com/tasuprostyii9.html

Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM

i was thinking of gettin the skunk2 coilovers. my sturts nd shox are pretty new thats why i dont want to go with the complete setup and just the coilovers. any other brand you recommend just for the coilovers itself with out the complete setup? any feedback on those skunk2 by the way?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM

if you just get springs and stick with stock shocks/struts you're going to run into a couple of issues..... The ride isn't going to be to bad but when you hit bumps it's going to feel nuts, and if you're cornering and hit a bump that car is going to be very odd... the reason being is that your stock shocks/struts are going to try and return the car to a stock ride height when it hits a bump, which is 2 inches higher than where it sits, so you get a LOT of extra travel... it looks good, it works ok, it will ruin your shocks/struts more quickly but as long as looks and ride are all you want (not performance) then you'll be just fine for a while

Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM

thanks, yea i was atcually just on the phone with a performance shop by my area yea they also recomend me to get a whole kit. do you guys kno any gets that run around 400? or beter of saving and get a good name brand?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM

for around $400.00 I don't know of to many kits per say.... H&R Cup kit (kinda stiff ride but amazing handling) is going to be around $700.00... you could get a set of neuspeed (or dropzone can't recall which) springs from Wheelbrokerang (PM him) for around $125.00 I believe and then look in our sponsors section and get a set of KYB shocks/struts for about $200.00 and that should be a pretty nice setup for right around $400.00 (probably a little less) after shipping/handling....

Quick Reply: springs or coilovers?