Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Strut Replacement - Ride harsher than before!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Strut Replacement - Ride harsher than before!

please look up "Suspension 2.0" for info about the parts and what they do. Replacing bad shocks will make the car stiffer because that's what they do. It sounds like your original problem was a combination of a bad spring (sagging and easy to push down) and worn upper bushings (creak).

Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM

I had a feeling I should ask before I bought! [sm=exactly.gif]

What should I do now? The creaking noise - that led to the whole issue of replacing the struts. [sm=groupwave.gif]

What we're saying here is two different repair outfits, Sears and Strauss, who both said I needed to replace the struts, were (the Fonz not withstanding) WRONG! [:@]

Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 PM

well, we can't really say that since none of us have looked at the car and are just going by your descriptions and common problems that lead to the symptoms that you've described. Is the creaking noise still there? I had Sears shocks on my Z24 and I thought that they fealt great ..... but that was a sport compact.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but they used Monroe Sensatrac Struts. How do they rate as original equipment replacements?

I just came back from a shorttrip to Burger King. I can't detectany creaking from the front - maybe some from the rear, but much harder to notice than before.[sm=wootwoot.gif]

Also, the knee pushingon bumper test is much easier to do on the rear.

BTW, you said the right thing about only being able to judge from what I tell you, and not saying the repair people are wrong. On many forums, people "know" without seeing, hearing or experiencingthe problem,which really isn't right.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:40 PM

I'd hate to say that the mechanic is wrong based on a forum discussion when he could be right on. He's seen the car! Also, there is always the potential for multiple problems and not everyone is that great at explaining the effects of each damaged part.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM

You're correct on that. Also, I was told the exact same thing at two different auto centers, Strauss and Sears.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM

shocks stiffen the bouncing of the springs. Springs support the weight of the car .... when you bounce the bumper, you are looking for how long the oscillations continue. Springs are bad if the car continually sags.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Right, as Falkore said, the shocks are made to stiffen the car and put it back to it's 'original' ride level, while the springs support the weight...

If you read about most after market shocks, you'll see that you run into mainly 2 different kinds: 1) OEM replacements, and 2) sports shocks.

Now, #2 can be really vague, cuz they may not be "sports" quality; but that's another discussion.

As for OEM replacements, they are generally made for the comfort factor; not for handling.

OEM Honda shocks are pretty good at matching, but could use some stiffening (imo) for better handling, as well as some better springs. But for a daily driver/touring car, the stocks are pretty much as good as you're going to get.

Having said that, if you do minor research about your shocks in particular, they are given their name for a reason. Quoted: "an impressive sensitivity to changing road conditions."
Sensatrac merely translates to that the shocks are sensitive to the "track" you're on.. IE, if you're on a bumpy road, you're going to feel every bump... if you're on a smooth race track, you're going to feel every pebble. (ok, maybe not EVERY, but you get the idea, it's really sensitive)..
Sports drivers genuinely argue the point that the feel of the road actually helps them navigate their drive; which makes sense...

It has never, in my experience, been that you get non-oem shocks and get a "cushier" ride... It's usually the opposite.

IF you really don't like it, I earnestly suggest you replace them with OEM shocks; you'll enjoy it better.
From what I've read, the Koni Yellows are the only sports shocks that can compare to stock (when loosened all the way), but even still don't quite match the comfort..
If you weaken your springs, expect to blow your shocks quickly; so that's not really an option.

I dunno man, seems like you either need to get your "butt-o-meter" tuned to the fine intricacies, or get stock-ish struts.

[EDIT!]
Oh, and as mentioned, the sticky in the suspension forum called "Suspension 2.0" is a GREAT read, with humor. I highly suggest it.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: klrspz

It has never, in my experience, been that you get non-oem shocks and get a "cushier" ride... It's usually the opposite.
This is usually correct, but adjustable shocks can go softer than OEM ..... my Tein SS on #4 settings are softer than the OEM ones, but the springs don't allow you to really notice this since they are pretty stiff.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Ok, thanks for all the help.

In fact, I just got back from Sears, and had them check the suspension and steering, which they did. Everything is working properly, including the bushings.

I see the point about the Sensatrac struts. I'll get used to it - as you said, and I've read the same in many new car reviews, there's always a trade-off between ride and handling.

Quick Reply: Strut Replacement - Ride harsher than before!