Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Struts/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
94_Accord551
Unregistered
Default Struts/Shocks

Hi,I recently brought tein S.tech lowering springs (2" Front 1.7" Rear)for my 94 lx and now need struts/shocks, but i have no idea whichones to get ????

Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Struts/Shocks

Bilstein, Koni, Tokico, H&R, KYB.... those are my suggestions based on price Left is spendy right is less but all of them are well used/tested by many people and I have yet to hear any serious complaints about any of them.... the KYB's are going to run you about $35.00 a piece (in most applications) check out T.A.S. Auto parts (on the right hand side and scroll down a little to the "new vendors box) they seem to have good prices on them

Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 PM
94_Accord551
Unregistered

Thanks for the info, I've heard Kyb Agx are the way to go but I've also heard there only good up to a 1.5" drop

Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 PM
ACoupe
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 94_Accord551

Hi,I recently brought tein S.tech lowering springs (2" Front 1.7" Rear)for my 94 lx and now need struts/shocks, but i have no idea whichones to get ????
I have Tein S. tech with AGX plus 18" wheel/tire on my coupe. When the road is smooth, it's awesome. Car rides flat, stable and responsive like a proper sportscar and the ride is also very very good, it makes my Mr2 turbo with Eibach sportline/Tokico illumina feel crude and harsh. But unlike the MR2 which remains stable over bumps and ripples, the accord rides like a pogo stick upsetting the cars composure. It's getting really annoying as the roads in my town are not very flat and full of dips and grooves. Driving down the highway gives me a headache as my body braces for the jolts, I just can't relax while driving with this setup. My passengers however like this pogo thing, Maybe I'm getting old.

I'm been doing alot of theorizing and testing as to what is causing this excessive pogo motion. I've recently test drove a Mazdaspeed 3(since it comes with 18" wheels/tires) and my setup give flatter more responsive handling, smoother ride quality and less body roll, but the Mazda rides more stable and harsher over bumps and broken pavements and has tighter steering. I've driven my friends Lexus GS430 with TEIN H. Tech and it's supremely smooth, just the way I like it, but it too has too much body roll and shows more fender gap. New Civic coupe is horrible. Comparing to other stock accords, mine is simply way more flatter riding, responsive, less floats/wobble and offers tons more grip and rides almost as good over bad bumps, but I jiggle all over the road and feel more of the subtle stuff that most cars ignores. The good thing is, it's never harsh, just jiggly.

So I've concluded that I either need to move to Vegas/California or downgrade to Tein H. tech or get stronger shocks. The H. tech will sit higher and show more ugly fender gap, but give a more stable/smoother ride since the springs are longer and allows the vehicle to adapt to the road without overloading the springs. But then I'll have to live with more body roll and less responsive handling and a higher looking vehicle since the 18" are already almost a full inch higher than stock.

If I went with stronger shocks that can control the S. tech, car will ride even firmer than when I set the AGX on maximum to minimize the pogo action. The AGX at maximum firm setting does not get rid of the pogo stick motion. So I start to wonder if people were right when they said AGX SUCKS!! But the more atention I paid to how the vehicle reacts to ripples in the road, the more I realize the softer part of the progressive spring from the TEIN design is simply too short and compresses too easy and too soon causing it to over power the AGX. However, upon checking the specs on Tein's site, the S. Tech is pretty much the softest 2" drop springs(250lb front/160lb rear) for our cars.

I e-mail Progress cuz I have had good experiences with their springs on my old Eclipse GS-T using GAB shocks(AGX are basically rebadged GAB). They said if I'm getting too much floats or pogo motions, my shocks are either blown or the springs are too soft. They obviously recommend I try theirs and dump the TEIN. But theirs has a higher rating(300lb front/185lb rear) which will be even harder for the AGX to control. Doesn't make any sense. But what remains unknown is wether the progress design has more wound on the softer part of the spring vs the stiffer section despite being stiffer overall than the S. Tech.

I'm still not sure myself what's the next best course for me. If anyone has more idea how to find the right balance, please contribute. Thanks!!