Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

TEIN S vs H&R with Koni shock

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
andrews
Unregistered
Default TEIN S vs H&R with Koni shock

hello, im new to forum and i need some help.

I have 02 accord coupe.

I got H&R OE with Koni adjustable shock. I have 225/45/17 tire.

When I installed H&R OE, front gap seemed to be too much so I lowered one clip with Koni.

The gap is even between front and rear now but I don't like the ride quality. I feel it is too stiff in the front.

Is being stiffer in the front better for performance? How do you guys like TEIN S?

Since I load people inmy car at the back, with lower rear height with TEIN S than now, I am thinking of stiffening up the rear with Koni dial.

Which setup do you think will give better ride quality and cornering? please help me out..

Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Default RE: TEIN S vs H&R with Koni shock

welcome to the forum! As far as stiffness goes you do generally speaking get better handling with a stiffer suspension, also keep in mind that if it goes to soft and the car is lowered you run a much higher risk of hitting your tires on the fenders under hard cornering, I had H&R springs with Tokico adjustables and it was a bit stiff but it cornered amazingly well, also be sure when you are softening/loosening your stiffness that you turn it the right way... I have heard great things about tein s springs but never used them myself, the H&R setup you have I would personally feel comfortable running that in Auto Cross competitions under real race circumstances... the problem with a nice, soft smooth ride is that when you corner it allows the car to roll to one side a lot more than a stiff suspension does, this transfers most of your weight to the outside tires and prevents griping properly with the front ones and allows the car to slide sideways more easily since you've got the majority of your weight on one side.... if you can find a safe vacant parking lot setup/plot out a course to run, drive it hard (safely) and have someone time, adjust the suspension to softer settings and then run it again and I bet the car will feel a lot different....

Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
andrews
Unregistered

thanks for the reply.

One more thing I want to clarify is front and rear stiffness.

My front is stiffer than the rear now. If I put in TEIN S, I will stiffen my rear up so I dont rub.

Then my rear would be stiffer than the front, but front would be about the same stiffness as it is now.

Which does better cornering for front-wheel drive? front stiffer or rear stiffer?

Please tell me how it is as I dont know much about suspension yet. Thank you.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:28 PM

in a FWD vehicle if the front is stiffer than the rear it allows your rear inside tire to lift slightly giving you a small amount of oversteer (this just means your rear end can "come around" faster, almost a drift like setup) most people in race application prefer it that way.... this isn't an exact answer but generally speaking having the front stiffer than the rear is what people want but due to liability most suspension manufacturers set it the other way (slightly) so that people are less likely to spin out of control when they're being idiots....