Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

2002 SE 4 lug to 5 lug conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 AM
jkellyre
Unregistered
Default 2002 SE 4 lug to 5 lug conversion

So how difficult is it? A buddy of mine seems to think I can just swap the 5 lug drums from another car in the back and something similar with the discs in the front. Has anyone done this?

I would like to put some newer Honda or Acura Rims on my car, but they are all 5 lug, and mine is only 4. Basically, I would only do this if end cost (labor is free if your instructions are good) is cheaper then going to the tire shop to buy wheels that actually fit my car as is.

Any instructions, links, or warnings would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Default RE: 2002 SE 4 lug to 5 lug conversion

Hey man, a while back I saw a magazine article about how to do this. They said that it was like medium hardish if I remember right, but I'm pretty sure that they switched out the axles for ones with a different drum bolt pattern, or something like that. I dunno, it's like too late at night right now to tear my room apart, but tommorrow I'll try to find the magazine and if I can I'll get you some more information.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Okay man, I found the Magazine. The only problem is that the original article is for a S13 Sylvia, or a 240 SX. I think though based on my knowledge of my own Accord's braking system that the install should be fairly similar. I might post these instructions for everybody later in another post or something, but this is how the 4 to 5 conversion works. You have to jack the car up, from the nearest jacking point. Then you have to remove the tire and wheel. Undo the Half Shaft bolt, the fatty bolt in the middle of the brake rotor. the magazine says to use a ballpeen hammer to push the half shaft out of the Hub, but I don't know if you really need to do this. The Hub is what you are going to need to change, and is the thing that your lug nuts screw onto. After this step, you have to remove the brake rotor which consists of removing the caliper, or at least loosening the caliper bolts enough to get the caliper out of the way while you get the rotor itself out. Then you have to disconnect the spindle from the upper control arm. The spindle is basically what the brake system mounts to I think, and it turns when you turn the wheel of the car. After you disconnect the spindle from the upper control arm, check to see if it is also connected to the lower strut, and if so, disconnect one of the bolts so that the spindle can rotate freely. The Half Shaft can now be removed from the hub and spindle assembly, it basically slides out the back of the assembly, back meaning towards the inside of the car. The Half Shaft itself doesn't really come out though, it is more like the spindle assembly slides off of the Half Shaft. Now you can unbolt the bolts that hold the hub to the spindle assembly, which are located on the backside of the assembly. From here, the new hub can be installed, with some lubricant used on the part of the spindle assembly that will be up against the hub, and used on the hub itself. Then you just have to get everything back together lol, and do it again 3 more times for each other wheel haha! I dunno, it doesn't sound difficult necessarily, but it definitely sounds time consuming. The other thing is that you have to get a new hub from either a Honda dealership, or a wreaked Accord, and in addition to having to buy new rims to fit the 5 bolt pattern, you also have to buy new brake rotors to also match the 5 bolt pattern. If you have the money and the time I'd say go for it, but otherwise, I guess you'll have to stick to those 4 lug wheels lol. That being said, buying 4 rotors and 4 hubs has got be cheaper than buying 4 new 4 bolt rims right lol? Hope that this semi-guide helps, or at least helps you to make a decision. Good luck man!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Here is a link that will help you out with what you would like to do.
Go to www.trydna.com and look into double drill billet adapters, these are some of the most quality adapters in the world...

WheelBrokerAng

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/4EBC6CEBB3F84283A0D684856C810C4B.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 AM

That sounds like a good plan lol, I was just thinking that you'd have to grab some different hubs from like a V6 model or some other Accord that had those stock. This sounds like more of a performance upgrade rather than a do it yourself fabrication.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

The company is owned by H&R spring company, which I think most of everyone has heard about..great products...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bling.gif]

Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I guess if you really want those rims, then go for it man!

But be warned, if you get tired of those rims, you are outta luck. 5 lug rims are hella expensive. You'll find a better deal with 4 lug wheels and better styling.

That's why I'm sticking to my hubcaps.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:44 AM

yeah what he saids i agreed

Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's the curse of the 7th generation...everything is hella expensive now...but when the time is ripe, it's show time.