Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Crossthreaded lugnut

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Crossthreaded lugnut

So when I took my car to the body shop almost a year ago, they had to remove the wheel to do some things...

I did my breaks a couple weeks ago, and when trying to remove the driver side wheel a single lug nut was very difficult to turn... As I pulled it off I noticed a ton of metal filings on the thread, and it looks pretty bad.... It's been so long, that the body shop denies ever doing something like that without telling their customers (i'm so pissed at this body shop for other reasons... Don't ever go to ServiceKing!!!!), so they wont fix it...

What are my options, do I have to replace the ... what is it? a hub? What part is it I'd be looking for, I would like to know the costs involved to determine if I want to fix it, or just disclose it when I sell...

Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Well its possible just the lugnut is damaged. But worst case the stud is damaged. Which those arent very much.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Less than $10 in parts, labor I don't know...

Take the wheel off and compare the studs to see if that one is damaged. From my experiences, the lugs will strips before the stud will.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

^true. Studs are $1.50 a piece on rock auto, would be a little more from the stealership.

Labor would be a bit, you have to take the rotors off.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Front or rear?? If front, you may have to do a wheelbearing job in order to R&R the stud.

It's been a year and you haven't had the wheel off for rotating???

Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM

If the stud's still there, and depending on its condition (how many threads left) - you may be able to run a die up/down to restore the thread, then use a new lug and see if you can torque same as others.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:01 AM

draser you are a legend I have a stripped stud and reading the top replies I was thinking I had a huge job on my hands but your idea is brilliant and it will be easy to do...cheers

Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM

sorry it's been a lil bit, i've been SUPER busy...

i haven't examined the threads since i've last taken off the tire, and in the hope of not messing them up any more I've attempted to find the least amount of reasons to take off the tire.... But I might try to see if i can die-cut them

Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM

OK It's been a while, but I needed new tires and was getting some A/C work done, etc... Lots of money down the drain, but I got the shop to do all 5 of the studs for $40+tax... Not bad if i must say so myself... it was beyond re-cutting the threads, and in fact when they were taking the wheel off the stud sheared off. that's taken care of, didn't require any bearing packing or anything...

as for the comment of going a year.. yeahhhh i was tryign to avoid taking it off soley because of the cross-thread... however I did get new tires at the same time and inspected my tires... across the surface there was only a 1/32 (at MAX) difference, so it wore pretty evenly, even with -1.7 camber in the rear.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Dang $40+tax is cheap if the hub is the same as the one in my 2000 LX. I sheared a lug off a while back and tried to DIY. Then I figured out the whole hub had to come off in order to replace a $1.50 part. Can't DIY removing a hub on a 2000 LX unless you have a hydraulic press in your garage. Had to take it to the shop and pay around $75 for an hour's worth of labor.

Quick Reply: Crossthreaded lugnut