Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Different Brand Tires

Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 AM
Default Different Brand Tires

So, right now I have Runway Enduro tires on my front wheels, put new ones on in April 2012

Runway-p185-65r15

I have an Cooper Response Touring tire on the driver's rear(replaced October, 2011). I caught a hunk of metal in my tire in driving back from a bus trip one day and rather anxiously decided to get it fixed right away because I had to return to work. I only replaced the damaged one and didn't bother to replace the rest because the front tires both had good tread and only the passenger rear tire's tread was low, maybe 5/16th. The passenger rear tire is now worn down almost completely, should I replace it with the same model cooper tire? does it matter? Is the warranty any indication of how long they last, because the Runway's are rated for 40k miles and the Cooper is rated for 60k.

I don't know that much about tires and just want to make sure there different tread depths haven't caused them to wear quicker or anything.

Last edited by Hondahonda; 02-22-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: active link
Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

As a general rule it is best if the same make and model of tire is mounted at all four corners. Why? Because different tires have different response characteristics, and when you're mixing them, especially if you have two different tires on one axle, the handling of the car can become unpredictable just when you need it the most (i.e. in an emergency evasive maneuver).

Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

That's true even when you have the same tread-depth but different types of tires. Seems like as they wear down the Cooper will wear down more slowly. Warranty is probably a bit of an indication of life, but not absolutely reliable.

I know it's easy for us to spend YOUR money, but you need to get back to having the same tires. How about this...?
- Get a pair of Runway on the rear. Now you have the same kind but different depth.
- As the front wear out, replace them. Now maybe the depth is a closer match so you can rotate them.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

How about if just make the passenger rear tire the same as the driver's rear(Cooper's), and hopefully the front tires will wear out first and I can replace the two fronts with Cooper's and they will all match.

From a safety standpoint, if I have the same two tires on the front and a matching different pair on the rear I'll be safe to drive?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Best choice (if it wasn't my money): Toss em & buy 4 new tires.

Next best: Front doesn't match rear, but you have matching tires across each axle. There's a couple very specific examples where this would be bad; but for now I'll just ignore those.

I suppose depending on the tread-depth of your 1 Cooper, maybe your suggestion is best. If the existing Cooper has much less tread-depth than a new Cooper, you'll find the steering pulling to one side or the other. If that happens, get another new Cooper before the next one wears down much. Measure the tread-depth - a depth gauge is probably less than $5 at AutoZoned.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Default Different brand/model tires seems to be irrelevant

Well, I measured tread depth and all my good tires are at 8/32 tread. Since the tires aren't worn much, I decided to replace the passenger rear with the matching rear tire and just from my viewpoint it seems to be hugging turns better. I'll be sure to come back and report if I have any kind of major incident.

All considering I've been driving around with 3 different brands for the last year(All same size), I can't really say, in my experience, that driving different brand tires is dangerous.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Under normal driving they feel OK and that's part of the danger. If you find yourself trying to avoid a collision, and pushing the tires closer to their limit, THAT'S when they suddenly get squirrely. And that's when you have no time to figure out why they aren't behaving nicely.

So now you have the same kind of tire on both sides of the rear axle? One's 8/32 and the new one is 10/32? That's probably a good way to deal with this.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default There is NO definate tire pressure for tires.

My 2007 Accord 4 door V6 auto.... rounded the outside edges using the Honda recommended door label pressures.
So I changed from 215 / 50 profile. To a 215 / 60 profile. Called Pirelli about the change in tires & appearence of inflated front tires.

He said if a tire LOOKS fully inflated.......Go with that pressure. I had to go to 35 P S I on the front tires to get that correct look.

Anybody else have wear problems with only V 6 front tires on a 4 door ?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

You changed from a 215/50 R17 to 215/60 R17? The tires on your car are not too tall and as a result your speedometer and odometer will both read low (i.e. you'll be going faster and further than your instruments register). Not only that, but the increase in sidewall height will render the car less capable in an emergency situation where you need to change direction fast.

Long story short, I strongly recommend you put 215/50 R17s back on your car, keep the tire inflation up around 35 (maybe a bit more), and make sure the alignment is correct.