Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Getting New Wheels + Tires soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Getting New Wheels + Tires soon

I only have about $150 more to save up for new wheels and tires. They will most likely be 17's.

Questions I need answers to:
1. Where can I get lug nuts that require a special key, and what size are they?
2. Do I have to get an allignment? (I will be switching the oem steelies for winter time, so I am assuming no)
3. Do you think they will look good on a stock suspension?
4. Do you have to be very concerned about potholes?
5. How can I tell which tires have the longest treadlife? I just want average all season tires, but they don't state the tread life.
6. Any other suggestions? (I am trying to get all questions answered before I make such a large purchase which I cannot return)
7. Some wheels like the first pictured say they are lightweight (19 lbs). How much does an oem steelie weigh?
7. Which do you guys like?

Sport Tuning Blade
[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/37B8F0CEA1DE4047B48F84B0299F1ADC.jpg[/IMG]

Tenzo GF 7 (Look at that lip!, but only come in 18's and are over $1k so prob. not)
[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/0D1772266AD14A3B88DB1375D0AEF579.jpg[/IMG]

MSW Type 11
[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/1E7C4A5316EF4759914E023E6ABEC3FB.jpg[/IMG]

Speedy Fusion (I like...but easy curb rash)
[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/660451E5DA2344C295F08E0349A6CAA8.jpg[/IMG]

Enkei Evo 6
[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/49D4B3D86C13475AB6CE47DF3ED623B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2008, 11:51 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Getting New Wheels + Tires soon

Forgot, heres my car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/99F983A32EEA4D6FB95BFCD9822F621E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Anyone?!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Funny...I was looking at Speedy Fusion myself...it'll be a great rim to throw on to show off your car no doubt.

My vote is for the MSW Type 11.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I do like the Speedy Fusion...and the ST Blade.

However, I love the rims on this Accord (Which was stolen )
Anyone know what rims these are? They have black spokes but are hard to see.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/76D638D9F1494E6BBE22E7CA795EDF8B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM

Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Scroll through these: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32&fsoo=2
2. Not necessary unless you lower the car too
3. They will look ok but youll want to drop it sooner or later... SLAMMED is the way to go
4. No not with 17's on stock suspension, just dodge the monster holes
5. Just buy a decent brand tire and dont worry about the tread life. There are a lot of factors that go into that
6. Make sure you are in love with whatever wheels you choose...
7.note sure of steelies weight. Id say around 20-22lbs.
8. I like the first wheels, and the ones on the Black Accord(not sure of brand)

Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: j_man_honda

Here are the answers to your questions:
1. Scroll through these: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=32&fsoo=2
2. Not necessary unless you lower the car too
3. They will look ok but youll want to drop it sooner or later... SLAMMED is the way to go
4. No not with 17's on stock suspension, just dodge the monster holes
5. Just buy a decent brand tire and dont worry about the tread life. There are a lot of factors that go into that
6. Make sure you are in love with whatever wheels you choose...
7.note sure of steelies weight. Id say around 20-22lbs.
8. I like the first wheels, and the ones on the Black Accord(not sure of brand)
Thanks for all of the great info J_man. Couple more questions though!

1. I clicked on your link, however I see two diff. kinds of wheel locks. One is where the key goes inside the lug nut, and the other is where the key has a special tooth pattern that goes on the outside. Is one better than the other? The auction for the key that goes inside says if the wheels are tightened using an air ratchet the key will break and the wheels wont be able to be removed.

2. If the oem wheels are 22 lbs and these are 19 lbs will there be any sort of noticeable difference in acceleration or mpg? I am assuming no.

3. The new tires will be around 205/45HR17 and my oem tires are 185/65/r15. I know there are speedo calculators but I dont know anything about which numbers are which other than the rim size. So will my speedo be off by much? And with the new tires, are those low profiles or do they have quite a bit of sidewall or can you not tell by the numbers?

4. I am really interested in what you said about how the mileage warranty isnt what matters for tire life. Other then tire rotating and burn outs, what are other factors? The cheapest tires w/ the rims are
Kumho Ecsta AST $72 a piece
(High Performance All-Season)
[*]Size: 205/45HR17[*]Serv. Desc: 88H Load Index 88 = 1235lbs (560kg) per tire
Speed Rating “H†= 130mph (210kph)
[*]Load Rating XL[*]UTQG: Treadwear: 400
Traction: A
Temperature: A400 A A

5. Should I just order the rims and search locally for tires?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

1. I clicked on your link, however I see two diff. kinds of wheel locks. One is where the key goes inside the lug nut, and the other is where the key has a special tooth pattern that goes on the outside. Is one better than the other? The auction for the key that goes inside says if the wheels are tightened using an air ratchet the key will break and the wheels wont be able to be removed.

2. If the oem wheels are 22 lbs and these are 19 lbs will there be any sort of noticeable difference in acceleration or mpg? I am assuming no.

3. The new tires will be around 205/45HR17 and my oem tires are 185/65/r15. I know there are speedo calculators but I dont know anything about which numbers are which other than the rim size. So will my speedo be off by much? And with the new tires, are those low profiles or do they have quite a bit of sidewall or can you not tell by the numbers?

4. I am really interested in what you said about how the mileage warranty isnt what matters for tire life. Other then tire rotating and burn outs, what are other factors? The cheapest tires w/ the rims are
Kumho Ecsta AST $72 a piece
(High Performance All-Season)
[*]Size: 205/45HR17[*]Serv. Desc: 88H Load Index 88 = 1235lbs (560kg) per tire
Speed Rating “H†= 130mph (210kph)
[*]Load Rating XL[*]UTQG: Treadwear: 400
Traction: A
Temperature: A400 A A

5. Should I just order the rims and search locally for tires?
1. I have Gorilla Tuner lugs with key inside, I wouldn't get the ones that have a squiggly 5-point star key, they like to strip. Thread is 12x1.5.

2. Noticeable... probably not, but they will increase a little bit.

3. I have 205/40R17, speedo is dead on, yours should be close. You'll have a good 2" of sidewall.

4. I look at the treadwear and don't pay attention to the advertised mileage they put out. My Toyos have a treadwear of 580 and grip like a mother, my Kumhos have a treadwear of 260 and grip like a mother on speed. Accelerating fast around corners, taking on/off ramps at higher speeds, etc. are going to wear down your tread much faster.

I would cautious around potholes... I hit one about a month ago doing 25, mire rim won't hold air now and I have to shell out $150 to fix rims that aren't even worth that. What can you do though, I can't afford a whole new set plus tires....

5. If you can find tires locally for the same price as the internet, go for it. When I replace my tires I plan on getting ASX or ASTs from the tire rack.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM

1. Id get the ones where the key goes inside the lug, just dont buy the cheapest flimsiest ones. And i would hand tighten with lug wrench

2. No not enough difference to notice

3. Speedo wont be off by more than 2mph id say. And the tires will be skinnier than oem of course but not really thin

4.If you want to buy cheap tires thats fine, i mean that will serve the purpose, but ive always liked and bought Falken or BFGoodrich

These tires are affordable and are Falken so they have to be somewhat decent:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-31-2008, 04:35 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thank You guys VERY much for your help!

I am really thinking on this, as this will be the most money I have spent on my car for a single purchase. Now, when I have the Sport blades w/ some $92 tires on tire rack the price is roughly 1,000 dollars! So....do you guys think I should get 17's w/ a little better tires or 18's w/ the cheapest tires? Will 18's look that much different? Will the speedo be off by much more?

Sorry for dragging this out! lol Im sure ill have even more ?'s [8D]

Quick Reply: Getting New Wheels + Tires soon