Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Messed Up My Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Default Messed Up My Wheel

I hit a curb and messed up my wheel. I currently have a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase a wheel. Only place I found was $200 on amazon.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, $200 sounds terribly inexpensive; are you sure the wheel you were looking at wasn't either A) used, or B) a cheap knock off?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

... or C) reconditioned (I guess that means used)

Amazon is just a lot of different places selling stuff. What's the vendor's name? Google that name and if it comes up as a junkyard, then... ??

Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
... or C) reconditioned (I guess that means used)

Amazon is just a lot of different places selling stuff. What's the vendor's name? Google that name and if it comes up as a junkyard, then... ??
The place on Amazon is Detroit Wheel and Tire. It lead me here:

The website says it's reconditioned. I was honestly going to search junkyards, but got tired of googling...

Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Can't say I know anything about that particular place, but reconditioned wheels can be pretty good. A lot can be done heating & rolling the wheel similar to it's manufacturing process. Then repainted.

Atlanta to Detroit is too far for a visit & scope the place out (unless you have relatives in the area). But you can probably find out how long they've been in business. And these days, if there were many pissed-off customers it would be all over the internet.

Or google "reconditioned wheels" to find other competing places.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ebay has plenty of options for < $200.

Need to add your new car to signature line.

good luck

Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are some places that "repair" rims.....worth a call to see what they might be able to do? Again just another idea.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I should've asked how bad you messed up your wheel. Curb rash might just be cosmetic, and the rim is not bent at all. In that case you can even repaint it yourself, depending on just how perfect you want it to be.

Is the wheel painted? Or clear-coated? Shiny metal under clear-coat is really difficult to "paint".

Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Maybe I should've asked how bad you messed up your wheel. Curb rash might just be cosmetic, and the rim is not bent at all. In that case you can even repaint it yourself, depending on just how perfect you want it to be.

Is the wheel painted? Or clear-coated? Shiny metal under clear-coat is really difficult to "paint".

The problem is I hit a curb and put a hole on the inside of the wheel so it's no longer capable of holding air in the tire. I'm not sure if there's another solution to it, but I just assumed I would need a new one.

I'll post a pic later today...

Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Question

Messed Up My Wheel-pic28245.jpg

As you can see there is a crack on the wheel. You think I should try and find a place to just get it repaired instead of buying a new one?

Quick Reply: Messed Up My Wheel