Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Michelin HX MXM4 Tire Noise

Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Default Michelin HX MXM4 Tire Noise

I have a 2006 Honda Accord EX V6 with 25k miles. Ever since 18k miles, the tires have been extremely noisy (Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm). I have rotated the tires every 5k and constantly maintain the tire pressure. Don't think I have a bad belt. My Honda dealer will be looking at the tires tomorrow. Anyone else have the same problem or have any advice? A check of the Michelin site reveals that the tires are warranted for 45k. I hope to get some type of adjustment as driving on them is quite distracting.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Michelin HX MXM4 Tire Noise

The Michelins are loud tires to begin with andas they wear they get louder.It's a standard complaint about that brand on an Accord.There may indeed be something wrong but don't be surprised if they don't do anything. Let us know the outcome.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM

Took the Accord to the Honda dealer this morning. Service Manager and Parts Manager drove the car. Service Manager said it was the "noisest" set of Michelin Pilot tires he's ever heard. He said it was worse at the rear.He isgoing to call Michelin AND the Honda Rep to see what they will do about a new set of tires.

THE PLOT THICKENS!

Stopped at an independant Michelin Dealer on the way home. Service Mgr at the Michelin store examined the tires and said they seemed fine. We then took the car for a test drive and he Immediately told me that one or both rear wheel bearings were bad.

I am inclined to believe the Michelin Dealer. I'm just going to wait for a call from the Honda dealer to see how this plays out!

Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

at 18k, did the noise build or just appear? if it built up slowly, I'd expect the tires to be at fault, if it happened all at once, I'd lean toward the bearings ..... I haven't heard of anyone killing the bearings in under 2 years though. Do you go offroading with it or something?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 PM

michelin can never do any wrong.

my vote is for tires....wheel bearings at 18k? wtf

Old 11-07-2007, 02:50 PM

I really appreciate all this great feedback. The car has NEVER been off the pavement, doesn't have a trailer hitch and is driven very moderately by my wife who is a 56 year-old retired schook teacher. I still suspect the rear bearing/bearings.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM

well ... let us know what you find ....... anything's possible, but bearings in 18k is really unheard of. Regardless of the problem, isn't the car covered by Honda for 3 years/36k? Or is that just powertrain? If it's the bearings, I'd expect Honda to take care of it.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Yes, the 2006 Accord (26k) is covered by the Honda 3yr/36k warranty. Actually the carreceived another 1300 miles on the warranty from Honda when they got caught in that little fast odometer fiasco. Wheel bearings would surely be covered by warranty.
What amazed me was that the Service Manager said he would contact BOTH Michelin AND the Honda Rep about the tires. Tires aren't usually covered by the auto manufacturer but rather by a specific warranty by the tire manufacturer. Tires or bearinngs, I just want the beast fixed and "quieted down". Right now it sounds like I have the wing seat on a Boeing 757!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 PM

Chance -

What was the outcome? Has this been squared away yet?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 PM

NO CALL YET! No news is good news! Good things come to those who wait! I'll keep you posted!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin HX MXM4 Tire Noise