Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Mom needs help buying son b-day rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM
osborne00
Unregistered
Default Mom needs help buying son b-day rims and tires

I'm trying to do some research and came across this great forum. My 16 year old son has a 97 Accord V6. He has been working part-time (while in school andplaying sports) and using the money to fix up his Honda. I would like to get him the wheels for his b-day this month but I am a little overwhelmed.
1. He had installed the Eibach Pro-kitthat lowered the car (he also bought new struts).
2. He would like 18" (but I read on the forum that some did not like the 18")
3. All black, bronze or gold.
4. I am concerned about the cost.
5. It seems like the internet is the best source for buying the rim/tires. How do I know which companies are reputable to buy from, which brands to buy, etc.
6. Help!!! His tires are really worn !!!!
7. Attached is a picture to show the wheel clearance with the 15" tires.

Honda Mom

Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Mom needs help buying son b-day rims and tires

Honda Mom,

First off that's a very nice thing to do for your young lad. Take a deep breath when you start shopping for wheel and tire combinations.....they can get expensive. Here is a good site that also offers expert advice over the phone, give it a look:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specia...?s_kwcid=tires|693993553&keyword=tires&code=yes&GCID =S13674x009-tr_gen2&

They ship the tires and can provide a listing of certified installers......for a price of course. Another angle is simply to buy new tires and let him choose the wheels down the line. At least you will know he's driving on good rubber for now.

Oh, best of luck to you.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 PM

That's very considerate of you to get him that kind of gift. I wish my mom did that. Try wheelsnext.com and wheelstudio.com They have a huge selection of wheels. Get him what he wants 18".

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

www.gtmwheels.com - Rota wheels, they offer wheel and tire packages for one set price and mount them for you.

www.edgeracing.com - Many different brands of wheels, also do wheel/tire packages. I've bought from here, cheap prices and pretty fast shipping.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Mom,

If your prefer to shop locally seek out a Discount Tire store in your neck of the woods. Like any large chain some stores have more knowledgable people than others. At least you can actually see wheels/tires in person as opposed to a picture.They are also available on the web.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I am glad to see a mom finally buys their kid car stuff, when i asked for car stuff for holidays all i ended up with was socks.

I have the eibach sport line kit on my car, which i believe lowers it the same, or close to the same as the pro kit and i run 18in rims. they fit for the most part, but i have ripped off a couple of inner fenders. I personally wish i had 17s over 18s because the 18s weigh too much and slow the car down.

but i'm guessing that you dont want your son driving fast, so i would say go with that 18s because thats what he wants and he will drive like a grandma to avoid potholes and bumps.

the other guys pretty much answered your question about online tire places, but for the record i would recomend www.tirerack.com www.wheelsnext.com

oh, and most rims are available in different colors, normally black, chrome, and silver, and sometimes bronze/gold.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM
osborne00
Unregistered
Default Need opinion on these rims

Thanks for the help. My husband and I just dropped the Honda off today to get painted black (my son's summer job paid for it). I found a set of rims on sale for $100.00. Can you tell me if they are nice rims or excuse me "sweet rims" (see attached). He had these picked out along with the bronze, blackand gold rims. The gold and bronze were all around $200.00.

I was thinking of going to the local discount tire place for the tires. I have been to a couple of local places and they don't carry much in rims (and overpriced).

Since I am paying for the wheels, I am going to go with the 17". Theinner fender thing firms up the decision. Plus, nothing is going to slow him down.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10933/3104AE2F1C6746AC966EDC43D29544E1.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: Need opinion on these rims

Hey Mom, those rims appear to be Enkei rims, which is definitiely a reputable brand. i think it is smart going with the 17's myself. It totally depends on what his taste is for what's "sweet". But $100 for those.... is that even possible? That's a steal if they are new rims.

One question: do you know what else he wants to do to his car/what he has done? Because people here could probably show you some examples of wheels that would fit his car's "style". i.e. Luxury, Really Racy, or Hideously Huge Rear Wing and Coffee Can muffler....

Good luck Mom!!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

its probably $100 per rim perhaps, not for the set though

and good thing about 17in rims, the tires are alot cheaper

Old 07-10-2007, 04:46 PM

To the nice Mom...

go check out the accords in www.cardomain.com and see what people are putting on their accords... 17s for the 1997 style look ok and the rim you posted up will look bigger bc they're flush into the lip... anyway, look through cardomain.com to see what looks good...

btw... that is a really nice thing to do... my Mom handed me down my first car which was a 1996 civic hatchback, but i hooked it up myself.. your son should be very happy when his ride gets new shoes...

here is a direct link to the 1997 Accords... http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/H...l/all/all/1997

Quick Reply: Mom needs help buying son b-day rims and tires