Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

nitrofill

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Default nitrofill

In the last several months, I have been hearing about NitroFill for my tires as opposed to using air. I just want to know the long term effects of using this for my tires. Is it worth doing?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM

the main reason for the use of nitrogen over compressed air is that nitrogen doesn't expand and cause your tire pressure to change up and down. which in theory will give you a longer lasting tire and just that more safer on the highway. used in newer vehicles mainly because of tire pressure monitoring systems, which are sensetive and trigger idiot lights on the dash.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nitrogen is a gas, in fact air is 79% nitrogen. N2 expands & contracts with temperature, JUST LIKE air. I've heard a lot of hype about N2 fill, almost none of it makes sense (I'm a thermal/fluids engineer).

Some of the stories that DO make some sense...

Corrosion of the rim, inside & especially under the bead, is reduced. Lack of oxygen can explain that.

Lack of moisture inside the tire. Sure, but even with N2 fill, have you seen the tire-installer guys smear that soapy water all around the tire before they fit it onto the bead-mounting machine?

Degradation (oxidation) of the rubber tire is reduced. Well, maybe, but how often have you seen a tire rot from the INSIDE? Atmospheric ozone & UV from the sunlight rots tires from the OUTSIDE. Besides, most of us wear the tread off before that happens.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Waste of money.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
Waste of money.
Some places do it for free when you buy tires - then I'd probably do it. If they charge $$ for coming back every month to check pressures (!) then just use a tire pump. Can't hurt to mix air with N2, because air is already mostly N2.

Search this Thread