Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

OEM Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Question OEM Big Brake Kit

Not entirely sure if this is where this falls... If it's not could a mod move me in the right direction? I just figured it more along the lines of negative horsepower.

OK, this is strictly theoretical... I can't stress enough that I haven't A)looked at either set up to see if it would fit or B)even begun to debate whether it or not it's worth while. With that being said here goes.

I'm driving around on a 2004 V6 6Spd... I just recently switched over to vented and dimpled rotors and a higher quality pad. Mostly because I warped the sh*t out of my rotors playing around one day, and second because you can easily shave off precious seconds around a track... there's that whole safety thing I used to justify spending all that money for brakes to my girlfriend too ... and now that it's been done I still want more.

There are several big brake kits out there. But, from the euro scene we can tell that OEM is better (besides funner to brag about). That being said has anyone else thought about a brake replacement with TL type-s brakes? Besides the cool factor of having those blacked out calipers with ACURA peeking out behind your wheel... I would assume they gave them more power than the weak braking system that come on the stock TL. I know that it doesn't come with drilled rotor, it's not even slotted... but that all can be fixed. I'm sure that it's not going to be as powerful as say the Brembo Big Brake Kit... but it couldn't hurt.

So anyone have any knowledge on the subject? Am I speculating what's already been done? Is this idea doomed to begin with? (technically anything is possible) Let me know guys. I'll also keep this updated as I research into it.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think it would work... the TL shares a lot with the Accord.

I know that the 6th gen guys like to use older Legend calipers, I think they're 2 piston. Anywho, has anyone on gen7accord.net done anything like this?

I'm sure one of the higher performance Acura calipers will fit.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 AM

It should work. One of my best friends has a 6th gen AV6 setup on a 98 Civic. You might want to look into if the master cylinder on the Acura moves more fluid or has a higher pressure. Also, stainless steel braided brake lines will improve the braking system and is a fairly cheap upgrade. If you need more bite, perhaps you should look into slotted rotors rather than dimpled. I don't think dimples really help anything .... just reduce contact area.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Well, I switched to dimpled mostly so I wont keep warping rotors, I would go with drilled except when I had a BMW 3.35 I cracked a set of drilled rotor from heating them up to fast (thermal expansion crack).. I do know that most of the accord and TL share parts so I figured that it would be a rather easy mod. It was like you guys said I wonder if the master cylinder or any other components are needed to make this work.

Probably wouldn't work (and would be WAY to expensive), but how cool would it be to put NSX brakes on our car.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 AM

With the 335i, what kind of rotors did you use? The ebay ones use blanks (often times Brembo for markettability) and drill them. This is wrong and weakens the rotor causing crackage. The reason is that steel has a grain direction as a result of manufacturing. This is similar to the grain of a tree. When the holes are drilled, grains are cut leaving open grains ..... these can lead to the start of a crack. Brembo Sport rotors .... and I believe other true high performance drilled rotors such as Wilwood, Akebono, Bear, etc are cast with the hols in the form .... this causes the grain to form around the hole. The hols are machine finished similar to the cheap ones, but due to the casting, the steel grain wraps around the hole rather than getting cut in the middle of a straight grain.

Brembo Sports also have directional vanes in the venting to enhance air pumping which increases cooling effect.

Holes improve cooling, slots improve brakihng force, more contact are improves braking force ..... I guess the dimples could help cooling a tiny bit, but IMO, the contact area vs. cooling effect tradeoff would not be worth it.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I had gotten them from BrakePerformance.com if I remember correctly they're forged similar to that of brembo with a die that makes the original impression. And then the machine shop finishes the drill through along with a zinc coating. I decided to go with the dimpled rotor as a suggestion from a friend of mine who recommended them based on the way I'm using it. In truth, I think they feel great. There is less of the vibration you can sometimes get with a crossdrilled rotor, and I've yet to have an issue with over heating. I don't buy my brakes for looks, but it's always a plus, I think dimpled isn't as sexy as looking back and seeing a cross drilled rotor. But, all in all I've been happy with them.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 PM

Cool, cool ..... are they by chance the EBC rotors? I've seen good and bad for them. A friend had them paired with Redstuff and they worked great. My brother has them and his breaks feel like their warped ..... he's not a good gauge though ... I think there's something else wrong with his breaking system.

My accord had drilled Brembo Sports with Hawk HPS pads. I could not recommend a better combo for awesome braking and total comfort as well .... for a large, fairly heavy car. I still haven't figured out what I'm doing for the Scion yet ..... stock vs. stock, the Accord had much better braking. Although a BBK naturally wouldn't help my car much, I'm thinking of getting one. OEm is plenty to lock up the wheels, but the car has electronic braking force distribution, so I'm hoping that the BBK makes it shift more force to the rear alowing me to brake harder overall. ..... and to head off the next comment, I already have about the best all-season tires .... when I get rims, I will get a set of RE01R's.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by falkore24
Cool, cool ..... are they by chance the EBC rotors? I've seen good and bad for them. A friend had them paired with Redstuff and they worked great. My brother has them and his breaks feel like their warped ..... he's not a good gauge though ... I think there's something else wrong with his breaking system.

My accord had drilled Brembo Sports with Hawk HPS pads. I could not recommend a better combo for awesome braking and total comfort as well .... for a large, fairly heavy car. I still haven't figured out what I'm doing for the Scion yet ..... stock vs. stock, the Accord had much better braking. Although a BBK naturally wouldn't help my car much, I'm thinking of getting one. OEm is plenty to lock up the wheels, but the car has electronic braking force distribution, so I'm hoping that the BBK makes it shift more force to the rear alowing me to brake harder overall. ..... and to head off the next comment, I already have about the best all-season tires .... when I get rims, I will get a set of RE01R's.
Nope, there from brakeperformance.com again. I was going to get the same set up that you have, but one the recommendation went with this setup. Like I said I'm happy with it, I want to do a BBK for the same reason as you. I think the stock brakes slow it down plenty. I just want for auto-x to be able to brake deeper into the corner with out worry. I didn't know EBC made a rotor for cars. In the euro scene EBC is what everyone talks about. Personally I've never driven with them, but I've never heard anything bad about them either. What kind of car is your brother running?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by falkore24
... I still haven't figured out what I'm doing for the Scion yet ...
I recently put Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Saab WRX; & resurfaced the factory rotors. That made a tremendous difference in braking, so SOME Japanese brakes can see a lot of benefit just from that. The pedal was mushy & got much more solid (even tho I haven't flushed the fluid yet). The braking force improved a lot.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 AM
povar
Unregistered

I think it would work...

Quick Reply: OEM Big Brake Kit