Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

replacing rims & don't know what I am doing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Default replacing rims & don't know what I am doing

I am driving a 2000 Accord EX with stock rims and tires, well tires has been replaced but with the same 195/65 R15. I am trying to get a little smoother ride on this car (I know it’s very smooth already, just trying to improve it a bit) & some guy gave me his tires from 96 Accord LX. Rims are 15” just like mine, but the tires are saying 185/65 R15. Can I use this wheel/tire combination on my car in hopes to get a smoother ride? I know it’s going to look a lot uglier then stock, but that is not my current concern, the ride is. Also can I get a different size tires on those rims that would not interfere with wheel well & suspension? Thanks,

Old 06-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: replacing rims & don't know what I am doing

You want fatter tires for a smoother ride?

Old 06-24-2007, 05:08 PM

The only difference is the sidewall width. It's really not gonna affect the ride that much. The tires and wheels aren't gonna affect anything on your car either.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 PM

1. Yes I am looking to get "fatter" tires if you mean higher sidewall...
2. What do you mean "The tires and wheels aren't gonna affect anything on your car either."
Do you mean there is nothing I can do to get a smoother ride? As I've been told by "Big O tire" guys (after I posted my question), to get a smoother ride I need a smaller rim a 14" and taller sidewall.
using the tire size calculator I came up with 215/70 R14 - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
not sure if the link is going to work, but that's what is says as close as I could get with 14" rim without going too much over 3% over current size. Seems they (1010tires.com guys) are concerned with breaks ability to "handle" a bigger tire. I assume I can get a set of beefier breaks and still go a bit over 3%, what say you?
Thanks a lot for all you help again!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: nmikmik

1. Yes I am looking to get "fatter" tires if you mean higher sidewall...
2. What do you mean "The tires and wheels aren't gonna affect anything on your car either."
Do you mean there is nothing I can do to get a smoother ride? As I've been told by "Big O tire" guys (after I posted my question), to get a smoother ride I need a smaller rim a 14" and taller sidewall.
using the tire size calculator I came up with 215/70 R14 - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
not sure if the link is going to work, but that's what is says as close as I could get with 14" rim without going too much over 3% over current size. Seems they (1010tires.com guys) are concerned with breaks ability to "handle" a bigger tire. I assume I can get a set of beefier breaks and still go a bit over 3%, what say you?
Thanks a lot for all you help again!
I said treadwidth, not sidewall. the 195 and 185 are the treadwidth. The 65 is the sidewall height.How much smoother do you need it? I think the accord drives pretty smooth on the stock tire size, do you have a bad back or something? Maybe you should be looking at what shape your springs and shocks are in instead of thinking of replacing tires/rims. The springs and shocks are what absorb the bumps in the road, if they're in bad shape your gonna have a harsher ride. Your brakes won't have any problem stopping a 14" wheel and tire combo.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Yep, bad back is the culprit... but I will go a great length to drive a Honda.
What about those air rides that some people are selling for Hondas, are they just for lowering them or can be used to get a smoother ride? Struts on the car do look like the original equipment, so I assume are the springs. I also assume I could get a little softer springs, but don't want to interfere with the car's suspension geometry... If I do replace the struts with something new, what brand would you go with in order to achieve what I want? Thanks!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

I just read your sig, 167k on the OG springs and struts is a lot. Not saying they're worn out or anything but they're getting there. You could just replace the shocks w/ some oem replacements or step it up with something that's adjustable, maybe some OE style springs that'll drop you an inch or so but still provide a nice ride.

I'd recommend finding someone in your area with some upgraded springs/shocks or coilovers and ask them if they can give you a ride to see how it feels and if you'll like it or not. I'd recommend some H&R OE springs (1" drop in the front and 0.5" in the back) and either some KYB GR2's or AGX shocks (both are basically oem replacements).

Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Thanks for a quick answer! You see when I was buying this car I did the old & tried shock test. Just bounced (or at least tried) each corner of the car but it would levele off right away without any bouncing, so I assumed that shocks has been replaced recently, but after taking the tires off and looking closely it looks like they have undercoating on them, that would indicate they are original. Anyways I’ll try finding KYBs or AGXs & see what happens. Thanks a lot again for your help.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

check out sparkplugs.com (our sponsor) they have good prices on KYB's.... and I'd agree that going to a taller sidewall would help improve your ride, it will absorb a bit more of the uneveness of the road, so like you figured, drop to a 14" rim and stick stock diameter tires on there.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Thanks sir_nasty Would you happen to know what Honda or non_Honda 14” wheels fit my Accord? I am just looking to buy some used rims and try them on hopefully with some tires on them before I decide to go that route.

Quick Reply: replacing rims & don't know what I am doing