Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Snow Tires for 2007 Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Default Snow Tires for 2007 Accord V6

Couple questions:

1. Is it me, or do the factory Michelin Pilots on the EX-L V6 stink horribly in the snow?
2. Has anyone had good success with improving the snow performance by swapping the Michelin's out with a Winter Tire? Did it make a huge difference?
3. Is there a certain winter tire that you recommend for this vehicle?
4. Any opinions on buying a new set of wheels to put the winter tires on versus swapping the snows for the all-seasons once a year on the factory wheels? The reason I ask is that Discount Tire told me I should do that (and save money by being able to go to a 16") so that it would save wear and tear on the pilots by installing/deinstalling once a year - and I would save the cost of mounting/balancing. I asked Costco (and I trust them completely) and they said it was only $24 to swap all four out and that the tires would not be hurt by this. Any expert opinions? I don't like the sound of going to a 16", but I don't like the sound of ruining $800 worth of Michelin Pilots because I didn't spend $400 on wheels. The $24 install fee is non-consequential in my mind.

Any help/thoughts/opinion would be really appreciated!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Default RE: Snow Tires for 2007 Accord V6

Start off looking at Tire Rack.com they seem to have a lot of write ups to steer you in the right direction. I would definitly look into the 16' wheels and tires as apposed to swapping tires.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Blizzacks and Altimax are the highest rated winter tires. I plan to do summer and winter sets when I get rims.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM

1. They are not very good, though I drive my truck in the snow for the most part. My tires are cashed after little more than 30k miles. I will not be replacing them with the same model.
2. Not on this car, but I did do this on an 03 M3, and the car was amazing in the snow. Now, the comparison isnt totally accurate, as I went from summer performance (not all seasons) to the winter tires, but, it would highly recommend it if you have to drive in the snow for an extended period of time.
3. I used a dunlop tire. Not sure about anything specifically, just make sure you replace all 4 (which it sounds like you'd plan to do that).
4. Definitely buy the wheel set. You can swap them in your own garage. Also, you don't run the risk of damaging the bead on the tires by repeatedly mounting and dismounting tires. I think you can get a set for about $600 from tire rack (16" rims and tires). Also, the 16" tires are cheaper, and likely narrower, allowing them to dig better into the snow, rather than plow with a wider contact patch.

ORIGINAL: dmullen

Couple questions:

1. Is it me, or do the factory Michelin Pilots on the EX-L V6 stink horribly in the snow?
2. Has anyone had good success with improving the snow performance by swapping the Michelin's out with a Winter Tire? Did it make a huge difference?
3. Is there a certain winter tire that you recommend for this vehicle?
4. Any opinions on buying a new set of wheels to put the winter tires on versus swapping the snows for the all-seasons once a year on the factory wheels? The reason I ask is that Discount Tire told me I should do that (and save money by being able to go to a 16") so that it would save wear and tear on the pilots by installing/deinstalling once a year - and I would save the cost of mounting/balancing. I asked Costco (and I trust them completely) and they said it was only $24 to swap all four out and that the tires would not be hurt by this. Any expert opinions? I don't like the sound of going to a 16", but I don't like the sound of ruining $800 worth of Michelin Pilots because I didn't spend $400 on wheels. The $24 install fee is non-consequential in my mind.

Any help/thoughts/opinion would be really appreciated!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 AM

I always loved my Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s... they make winter driving much less hectic, especially braking and turning.

What I would do is find out what diameter of tires you want is cheapest... a lot of time 15" is cheaper than 18" etc and then go to the junkyard and buy a set of 4x114.3mm steelies in that diameter. It's so nice to be able to swap tires whenever you please, come spring when you put the regular tires back on only to find out a blizzard is forcasted you'll be glad you have 2 sets.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks for your help guys! I'm about to order 16" Blizzaks from Tire Rack. I'm going to get the alloys for around $150 or so more. I'm planning on keepingthe car fora while and it seems stupid to put steel wheels/with covers on a $30,000 car when alloys are $150 more. I'll let you know what I think.