Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire recommendation for Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
cmjb13
Unregistered
Default Tire recommendation for Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan

I currently have 52,000 miles on my original Michelin's (215/50R17). I'm doing some research to find a good set of tires for a decent price for my 2007 Honda Accord EX-V6 sedan

I live in NJ and do mostly highway driving. I'm looking to spend $100-$150 per tire. I've heard different opinions on different manufacturers and would like to hear what others on this board think.

From what I've read and seen, Michelin's are expensive, Bridgestone's are loud, Sumitomo's wear out very fast, and Hankook and Kuhmo are good for the money but wear out quickly.

Would like people's opinions (if any) on the following brands.

BFGoodrich
Continental
Cooper
Dunlop
Firestone
General
Goodyear
Pirelli
Uniroyal
Yokohama

While I understand a 60,000 mile warranty will often more than not be reached due to various driving conditions, I am looking for a tire that would guarantee 60,000 miles rather than say 30,000 miles.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cmjb13; 09-08-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Some of your questions can't really be applied across a whole brand of tire.

Bridgestones are loud? Not all.
I had Touranza tires on a Saab several years back. They weren't loud at all, but didn't last as long as I hopend.
Then Potenza RE950 on a different Saab and they were a lot better, & still quiet. These both were my wife's car & she doesn't drive that hard.
My Saabaru (WRX) came with Potenza RE011 and they were horribly noisy and didn't last long at all.

My point is, this was 3 different Bridgestones and they couldn't have been more different from each other.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 AM
cmjb13
Unregistered

I'm not so much concerned about noise as I am about longevity. I don't want to be buying new tires after 10k miles.

Can you recommend anything?

Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
gocubsgo
Unregistered
Thumbs up tread life

I've got a set of the stock Michelins with 50,000 miles on them. They are the 16" tires that came on an 06 accord exl. The tires look like they have barely been used with plenty of tread and even tread wear. They could easily go another 20,000 before I would think of replacing them. Michelins are expensive but worth it. I've also found that having a good quality tire like Michelin on your car helps with resale value. You could also get a set of Sumitomo's for half the price and replace them twice as often.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Go to TireRack.com & look at UTQG treadwear ratings for different tires. Lots of 400-ish treadwear ratings for tires that have good reviews. There's even some 600-700-ish ratings, but those are general "touring" tires that I haven't actually owned so I can't say much firsthand.

In a very general sense, a tire with really long lifespan will usually lose something else. Like less traction in cornering or braking. Or pathetic snow traction. Or more noise. You're doing good to recognize which things you need, & which things don't matter to YOU.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I've had Hankook K106's (215 50R17) on my car for about 7,000 miles and they are awesome. They have great grip and look very sporty. They have great reviews anywhere you look online, and are cheap (80-90 each). They are somewhat loud, but if you have music on, it's not noticeable, and from what I've read they will last a while. They are summer tires only, though... not sure if the snow flies where you're from.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 AM
dlr213
Unregistered
Default Best tire ever!

I just put a set of four new tires on. Consumer Reports rates passenger car tires every three years, and they just released the latest standings in October.

If you want the best tire - for treadwear, dry braking, wet braking, ice braking, snow traction, ride comfort, rolling resistance (better gas mileage) and NOISE (quietest), you have to bump down from the standard "V" speed-rated tires which come with the Accord, to an "H" rated tire. They're still rated up to 149mph. IF that's not enough for you.. you're crazy.

And the winner is...

Michelin Primacy MXV4. Depending on the size (Accord EX V6's shoudl be 205/60/16), expect to spend around 150/tire plus installation.

I had them put on my 04 Accord, and I have to tell you - I never knew how much tires could impact the way a car rides. It is more responsive in turns, the road noise is GONE COMPLETELY.. it is so quiet all you hear is wind, and the occasional hum of the quiet engine.

I've never been so pleased with a single purchase for my car.

D.Roush
dave at daveroush dot net

PS- if you MUST have V-Rated tires, the best rated is the Michelin Exalto A/S, but it gets lower marks in the ice braking, rolling resistance, noise and tread wear categories.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
DrumZ53
Unregistered

You may want to pick up the Current issue of Consumers Reports
69 different tires tested....Overall-Michelin came out FANTASTIC-
but there are many other le$$ expen$ive options...KJK

Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Talking New Tire For Me

Originally Posted by cmjb13
I currently have 52,000 miles on my original Michelin's (215/50R17). I'm doing some research to find a good set of tires for a decent price for my 2007 Honda Accord EX-V6 sedan

I live in NJ and do mostly highway driving. I'm looking to spend $100-$150 per tire. I've heard different opinions on different manufacturers and would like to hear what others on this board think.

From what I've read and seen, Michelin's are expensive, Bridgestone's are loud, Sumitomo's wear out very fast, and Hankook and Kuhmo are good for the money but wear out quickly.

Would like people's opinions (if any) on the following brands.

BFGoodrich
Continental
Cooper
Dunlop
Firestone
General
Goodyear
Pirelli
Uniroyal
Yokohama

While I understand a 60,000 mile warranty will often more than not be reached due to various driving conditions, I am looking for a tire that would guarantee 60,000 miles rather than say 30,000 miles.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

I bougt 4 20565R15 Quadra LE's which are made by Dayton Tires...70K on the miles with an A traction&A on Treadware..Nice and Quiet
Cost me 335.00 Mtd&Balanced plus Paid $40.00 for a 4 wheel alignment...