Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

What winter tires should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Default What winter tires should I get?

I have a 2000 Honda Accord Ex V6 Four Door Auto thatIbeen having a really hard time getting around in the snow. I am a college student At the University of Iowa and for some odd reason they do not like to plow the streets until the snow and ice have been packed down really hard and it is almost pure ice. I have been stuck 3 times now, once in a parking lot, once on the side street with ice, and once in deep snow.

I would like to know what snow tires people are using and how they like them. I know there are ratings out there on tires but i like to hear personal opinions! So please tell me what you are having good or bad luck with!

Thanks Guys!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Default RE: What winter tires should I get?

I hear bridgestone makes a nice snow tire. Whatever you go with I'd make sure it's a studded snowtire.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM

now i thought studded was illegal? or am i miss informed about that? I thought they were bannded because they tore up all the roads...

Old 12-15-2007, 04:09 PM

I know that's not the case around here but perhaps they changed it for iowa? According the thread I linked to below someone thought they were legal, I'd call the DMV and ask... If they are illegal then I can tell you from personal experience that the best all around ice tire I've ever had was the walnut encrusted ones (second link) and I'm sure those are legal.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...rs-snow-2.html

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/microbit.asp

Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

legality of studs and chains depends on the state. i am ok in AZ, not sure about IA.

Honestly, the only thing that will help a lot on ice is studs and / or chains. Snow tires dont help all that much on solid ice.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:26 PM

those walnut encrusted ones work really well too. Walnut is quite hard and doesn't shrink, so the colder it is outside the farther they stick out of the tire when the rubber shrinks and they worked amazingly well for me on ice

Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 PM

thanks for all the help.

has anyone heard anything about how good Blizzaks work?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have Blizzaks (WS-50's I think). I live in MN so our weather is similar. They are decent and will definitely improve the handling, but still be careful on ice.

P.S. - GO CYCLONES!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 PM

The best tires for winter up here in North Dakota is anything made by Nokian.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

I went to their web site and looked at those tires, they have a really good looking sidewall and a Heck of a nice looking tread for winter..even their summer tire tread looks good...this was the first time I ever heard of the brand...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: What winter tires should I get?