Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wheel size, ride quality and TPMS

Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
accordion
Unregistered
Default Wheel size, ride quality and TPMS

When I got my mom her car (08 accord LX) I told her I'd get her some nicer wheels.

The car has 16" steel wheels now. Will 17s or 18s degrade the ride quality at all? I'm assuming 17s and 18s will need a lower profile tire than the 16s.

There are some 18" Honda OEM take-offs on ebay that seem like a great deal. Will 18s give a really harsh ride or be noisier? Will they mess up the speedometer reading?

Also, I found out all the 08s have tire pressure monitors attached to the wheels. Supposedly they can be moved to new wheels. The annoying thing is the car's computer has to be "told" that the car has bigger wheels using some sort of honda diagnostic equipment. At least according to Honda's pdf for installing bigger wheels. Can I just ignore this step?

Thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Wheel size, ride quality and TPMS

No , you absolutely can not ignore that factor what so ever...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM

18's will throw the speedometer off 2-3 mph at the most. If your gonna do it definately take it to a dealership and let them fool with swapping over those air pressure sensors and what not. Its gonna be costly for ya....

Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Accordion:
Can you attach the link of the PDF file that informs you that the car's computer needs to be adjusted for the larger wheel? I think if the overall tire diameter is the same it will not make a difference. Also, you are asking if you can take off the TPMS from one rim and move it to another one? Only if it fits. Some tire stores sell them, just make sure they are compatible with your car But you need to keep it or the Low Pressure indicator will stay on on your dash

Since your mom has an 08 Accord, the tire size should be 225/50/17, that should be fine and you should not need to adjust anything on the computer.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Fish Hunter

Accordion:
Can you attach the link of the PDF file that informs you that the car's computer needs to be adjusted for the larger wheel? I think if the overall tire diameter is the same it will not make a difference. Also, you are asking if you can take off the TPMS from one rim and move it to another one? Only if it fits. Some tire stores sell them, just make sure they are compatible with your car But you need to keep it or the Low Pressure indicator will stay on on your dash

Since your mom has an 08 Accord, the tire size should be 225/50/17, that should be fine and you should not need to adjust anything on the computer.
The computer needs to be adjusted so that the air pressure sensors work properly not because the tires are larger.

Accordion: Here's the list of what to do in what order:

the 18's will degrade the ride quality a bit simply because there is less sidewall but it shouldn't be horrible
Make sure your order 18" tires that will give you the same diameter as stock and your speedo will be fine
Take the tires/rims into a dealer and have them swap the sensors over and re-program for the upgrade
you're done

Shortened version:
Buy Rims
Buy Tires
Go to dealer

Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I was refferring to a OEM TPS. It seems from the first thread, this is an OEM TPS and not an after market TPS . If he is refferring to an aftermarket then I don't know.

I have an 08 Sedan and I'm trying to mount the HFP 19" coupe rims on the Sedan using 245/40/19. I never heard of having to change anything on the sensor or computer...the last time I checked...22PSI is 22PSI.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sir-Nasty is correct, Buy the rims, tires and go to the dealer. When in doubt, take it to the dealer and have them do it. It's always good to call around to a tire dealer and/or a Honda dealer just to make sure their story jives. Make sure you reference if these are OEM or aftermarket TPS.

Peace

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Fish Hunter

I was refferring to a OEM TPS. It seems from the first thread, this is an OEM TPS and not an after market TPS . If he is refferring to an aftermarket then I don't know.

I have an 08 Sedan and I'm trying to mount the HFP 19" coupe rims on the Sedan using 245/40/19. I never heard of having to change anything on the sensor or computer...the last time I checked...22PSI is 22PSI.
The sensor will still read properly, the issue is that let's say it's set to go off when the tire hits 34 psi because it's supposed to be at 37 psi, then you install new tires that are supposed to run 44 psi it's going to show over inflated and read normal when it's underinflated. Does that make a little more sense? It's not a matter of fixing the sensor, it's more about chaning when the indicator comes on/off

Old 02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Again, I could be wrong but OEM (direct mount) TMPS only alerts to low pressure(about 25psi) not high pressure.

Peace

Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's most likely different on the Accord, but on my Scion, there is a TPMS set button in the glove compartment. I don't know when it alerts me, but I know how to set it to the current pressure. I have so much reading to do on this car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel size, ride quality and TPMS