General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Default 2003 power window problem

Hi everyone, I'm new here... I've searched regarding power window problems and there has been a lot of helpful information, but I was hoping someone would help with my issue.

My drivers window was working intermittently until yesterday. When it wouldn't work, I could roll down under windows then it would work. It would always "click" when it didn't work.

I figured it was the master control unit. So I went to a wrecker and bought one, now none of the windows work. The lights don't even light up in the switches.

My old unit - the front switches were really loose and I was fiddling with it and they came off. When I plug it back in, the lights light up so I am sure it's not a power issue.

Here's the thing. My car is a 2003 EX. The switch I got even though it looks identical, is from a 2005 EX.

Are they different?

Any info appreciated.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

" When it wouldn't work, I could roll down under windows then it would work". You need to better describe meaning of above.

I looked a shop manual and does not indicate any special procedures to replace the master switch unit (contains door mulitplex unit). You need to reset the power window control unit, but that is to insure safety for auto up/down features and apparently not required for normal operations.

There are many diagnostics for the power window control unit. There are procedures for extracting DTC's which may suggest fixes.

Suggest purchasing a download manual from automanualsource.com for $22 to get access to all of these.

Car-part.com search indicates that 2003-2007 are donors for power windows switch assy.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 10-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM

To better explain the original problem...

I would try to roll down drivers window, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. When it didn't - I'd roll the passenger window up/down, up/down, up/down, then the driver side would work. Sometimes the passenger one wouldn't work either, so I'd do the same with one of the back windows.

Anyway, I went to Honda today, bent over, and they sold me a brand new master switch for $400. I should have it by Friday so I'll see if it works.

As for the autowrecker one I have now, I guess it either doesn't work or there is something different with 2003 vs 2005. I remember reading somewhere that they are different (yet look identical) but I can't remember where.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Oh btw, car-part.com is how I found the wrecker unit. Looking at rockauto, they show different part numbers.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

The circuit diagrams show 2003-2004 are the same. 2005 is different.

Honda part numbers also shows 2005 is different.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Hey Redbull thanks for the info! Hopefully this will help others in the same boat.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:28 PM

I'm having similar problems with my window. My mechanic cannot figure out what is wrong with it. This has been a recurring issue with my 2003 Honda Accord. I have changed the regulator or motor 2-3 times already since I have owned the car. The last couple of weeks it has been acting up. One day it works fine, the next day it stops working.

My mechanic checked the regulator and motor a week and he said they were fine. Oddly, the day I brought it in was when the window magically started working again so he couldn't figure what is wrong with it. Today, it just stopped working so I plan on bringing it back to him on Monday.

Any ideas what else could be wrong with window besides the regulator and motor? What else should I tell him to check? Should I tell him to just replace the master switch? I appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me...getting a little desperate here. I'm just glad I live in SoCal where it doesn't rain that much for it to become a huge nuisance yet...

Jason

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM

I would bet you need a new master switch. In the end, I needed the master switch and a regulator. Beware that 2003-4 (as mentioned above) have a different switch. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 AM

I should also mention the new switch needs to be "programmed" so your fobs work. Do a search on here, I can't remember what I needed to do.