General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Accord - problem with sensing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Default 2016 Accord - problem with sensing

Love my new V6 Touring. And love the Lane Keeping Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control . . . except they seem to automatically turn off after about a minute unless I am actively holding and using the steering wheel. A very annoying "steering required" in bright yellow flashes, even if I am firmly holding the steering wheel I have to play with the steering wheel and move my hands around to get it to stop. Can this warning feature be turned off?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:54 PM

The ACC seems to work well and will stay engaged until to drop below 25 MPH or come up on a slower car. You can tell by the little car silhouette in the display. If the car silhouette is solid it means that your car is slowing down due to the car in front. However ACC should stay engaged and will speed up again when the slower car is no longer present.

LKAS is another matter. It is very "flakey" and only works when it has good lane markers to work with. Also it only works above 45 MPH. It will seem to be working for a while and then stop working for no apparent reason. You can customize it so that it will not beep upon stopping to work. Check the owner's manual.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Thanks, Bill. My issue is a bit different. I noticed it on a lengthy highway trip on a major interstate. I wanted to sit back and allow the ACC and LKAS to essentially self drive the car. I kept my hand on the wheel at all times, but allowed LKAS to keep it within the lane and ACC to match the speed of the vehicle ahead. And it would do that fine for a few minutes but then the bright yellow "steering required" warning would start flashing. And it would not go off until I actively moved my hands along the steering wheel or actively steered the car. Annoying!

Old 04-22-2016, 05:39 PM

According to the CD that came with my 2016 Accord Coupe w/Sensing:
The LKAS may automatically be suspended when:

• The system fails to detect lane lines.
• The steering wheel is quickly turned.
• You fail to steer the vehicle.
• The vehicle runs on a curved road over the speed limit.
• Driving through a sharp curve.
• Driving at a speed in excess of approximately 90 mph (145 km/h).
Once these conditions no longer exist, the LKAS automatically resumes.

I suspect it decides you're not actively steering so it cancels. It probably expects minor movements of the wheel to know you're still alive and in control.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 PM

Well I think you are correct. But in fact I am alive, awake and in control and don't know what minor movements LKAS is looking for. I mean, why have to play with the steering wheel when it it essentially self-driving? So it is sort of like having your wife poke you in the shoulder every couple minutes mile after mile after mile, asking "Are you still awake?" haha Very annoying!

Originally Posted by Hero1318
According to the CD that came with my 2016 Accord Coupe w/Sensing:
The LKAS may automatically be suspended when:

• The system fails to detect lane lines.
• The steering wheel is quickly turned.
• You fail to steer the vehicle.
• The vehicle runs on a curved road over the speed limit.
• Driving through a sharp curve.
• Driving at a speed in excess of approximately 90 mph (145 km/h).
Once these conditions no longer exist, the LKAS automatically resumes.

I suspect it decides you're not actively steering so it cancels. It probably expects minor movements of the wheel to know you're still alive and in control.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ctmlaw
So it is sort of like having your wife poke you in the shoulder every couple minutes mile after mile after mile, asking "Are you still awake?" haha Very annoying!

At least you can turn the LKAS off when it annoys you...

I only got my car about a week ago and -so far- haven't seen LKAS go off the way you described. Maybe I don't keep the wheel as steady as you do and/or I may move my hands more.

The point is it's not self-driving and shouldn't be considered that way. LKAS is only there to assist.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM

Will be interested to hear your experience after driving a length of highway. Not sure why someone has to be "active" with the steering wheel. I am told Tesla, Lexus and other offer electronic assistance that does not require active participation by the driver. I'm fully alert and continuously holding the wheel, so not sure why Honda thinks I need to do more. Or perhaps it is just my unit settings? In any event, thanks for reading and replying to my post. Hope you enjoy driving this fine car as much as I do!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:15 PM

You can't really compare Tesla and Lexus because their systems likely have different capabilities than Honda's LKAS.

Did 50-mile trip, each way, yesterday at the speed limit on wide open freeway with virtually no other traffic. Tried multiple times to make LKAS turn off. Only once did I get it to pop up the orange warning box and that was when I took both hands off the wheel for couple of secs.

It didn't complain when I only held the wheel loosely between one thumb and forefinger, and it continued to maintain the lanes.

I'm not suggesting you think of LKAS as making it a self-driving car but maybe you can ask the dealer to check and re-calibrate it..?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Yours was a very different experience than mine, so I think your suggestion of having them check and recalibrate is a good one. What you described is what I was looking for so thanks for reporting how it went.

Curious as to the differences in the Tesla and Lexus systems in terms of lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. I've heard they also allow vehicle to automatically change lanes and pass on highway. Wow. But of course quite a price tag for that.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM

Keep in mind that I have a 2016 CVT coupe with Sensing and I presume yours is a 2016 sedan with V6 AT, so they might be set up and calibrated differently.

Post back and let us know what your dealer says/does with your LKAS system. Maybe it's mine that needs to be recalibrated.

Five levels have been defined for autonomous-driving vehicles. So I guess those high-priced models may be at a higher autonomy level than our Hondas with Sensing...

-Ron