General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 accord idles up and down between 1000rpm and 1600rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Default 93 accord idles up and down between 1000rpm and 1600rpm

Hey so I have a 93 accord that I just recently did a head gasket replace on it. When I did this I also replaced all heater/coolant hoses, thermostat and gasket, and recently the radiator has been replaced. So now after it has warmed up and the fans kick on to cool it off, it starts to rev up and down between 1000rpm and 1600rpm. As soon as the fans shut off at the radiator, the idle goes right back to normal right between 900rpm and 1000rpm. I have already cleaned out the IACV valve and completely took the valve apart and cleaned all the pieces with brake cleaner. At first it made a difference but then it went right back to normal. I have been told by a couple people that it could be the PCV valce or my MAP sensor. Is there anyway of trouble shooting either of these before replacing them? Because the MAP sensor costs about 187$ and I don't really have that kinda money right now. If you have any advice or troubleshooting that could help me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you tried using the search here on this site as this topic has been covered 100's upon 100's of times?

here is a hint - bleed your coolant using the bleeder screw where the lower radiator hose connects to the intake/head.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
have you tried using the search here on this site as this topic has been covered 100's upon 100's of times?

here is a hint - bleed your coolant using the bleeder screw where the lower radiator hose connects to the intake/head.
WELL, I had already searched it and within the first four pages there wasn't any thread with the same issues that were happening to my car so I posted a thread with my problems seeing if anyone else had experienced them before and were nice enough help me out. I"m sorry if you wasted I wasted your time with you replying to my post.
But yes I have already bled the coolant and there was no air in it ever. I've bled it like 5 times and it never made a difference.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a thread for FITV cleaning. The instructions show how to cover the port inside the throttle body. Remove the snorkel from the throttle body and cover the bottom port with your finger while the engine is running.

There is a video on ericthecarguy site that shows how to bleed the cooling system. Air in the system can mess up the idle. I think he has some video on idle problems too that will help you out.

Did you use a Honda OEM thermostat in your car?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Hey Ty420, I've the same issue with 2 'old' Accords ('92, '93) and a Prelude ('86 - son's). I've been referred to the FITV cleaning thread, but haven't done that yet. Mine is an issue only for ~ 1minute during warm-up...

If you do this, appreciate your posting back up, or PM'ing me how it worked. Thanks

Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TnAsTy420
WELL, I had already searched it and within the first four pages there wasn't any thread with the same issues that were happening to my car so I posted a thread with my problems seeing if anyone else had experienced them before and were nice enough help me out. I"m sorry if you wasted I wasted your time with you replying to my post.
But yes I have already bled the coolant and there was no air in it ever. I've bled it like 5 times and it never made a difference.

You do not have to be so thin skined.
I asked if you had searced yet as since I have been here I have seen this topic posted at least 50 times and it has been covered extensively.

I then went out of my way to tell you what I thought was the most likely cause.

You did not mention that you bleed the coolant yet so I suggested that for you,

Then you retort with hostility towards me.

I am sorry I couldn't solve your problem instantly, I did the best I could.