General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Key Remote Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Default 98 Accord Key Remote Problems

98 Accord Key Remote Problems
I have 2 original remotes. In the past I had minor problems with them. Having to push buttons a few times to work but recently they both stopped working. One had some very tiny green spots of corrosion on the inside.Had the remote battery checked at wal-mart jewelry and the girl said it was ok. I looked and it was registering well charged if she had it set correctly. Battery is about a year old. I do go to the gulf of mexico a lot so salt air does get on it but never dropped in the water.Is there a test or a way to re-set them or is it possible they both are going bad at same time??
Or is there a part in the car going bad? The red light on remote comes on when lock/unlock button is pressed but not if trunk button(not sure if it is supposed to with trunk) is pressed.
Thank you in advance.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Default RE: 98 Accord Key Remote Problems

What kind of remote/system are you working with? And was it stock?

I have gone to alot of places asking about OnStar, and many have told me the remotes on those systems are very sensitive. That playing around with the buttons can throw off the whole system, to the point were it seems useless.

Just last week my mom had her OnStar/remote starter re-activated. She was goin to pay the cost of a brand new system becuz my dad had thrown off the system by playing with the remote. So he unplugged the whole alarm, so we thought it no longer worked. She took it to the mechanic and got it re activated for a few bucks.

So it may be the system itself. Maybe you played with the remote, or accidentyl hit a few buttons and threw the system off. If it isnt the system, you should be able to get a brand new remote and try it.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM

I bought the car used from a family that were the only owners. I am pretty sure they are the original remotes. Nothing special like Onstar, just door lock/unlock, trunk opener and alarm. Odd that both went out at the same time. That is why i am wondering what part can go bad on the car or does something need to be re-set. I might have remote battery double checked even though the red light comes on when pressed.
Anyone know how to re-set remote? I saw on Ebay that you need the number on the back of remote I believe?

Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 PM

No clue. If you had the manual of the alarm...tht may help. Does it work with the doors open? It may be inactive, but still locks the door. Mom's car did that, it kept it secure, but not under her control.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Went and tried it with doors open but same result. The manual mentions that if the battery is low it may take a few tries to get it to work. That is what was happening off and on. I then put battery in other remote and got the same thing for a few days until it stopped working all together. This why i might test the battery again or maybe just by another battery if no one comes up with another part to check out.