General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C and Heater problem

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C and Heater problem

Hello everyone. Im having another problem with my 87 accord. I havent ever had heat or ac since i got the car. Id really like to have one or both. The probelm is that nothing happens when i hit the buttons or move the *****. No air whatso ever comes out hot or cold. I know it has ac cus i see the unit and the belt are in place as well as all the piping for it but the weird thing is is that it will sometimes blow air [not hot or cold] out when i have the key set to the 2 position. And the other weird thing is the blower has to be on the off position for it to come on if you switch it to on it turns off.... Well im just wondering if anyone has had something like this or at least knows a good place to start looking. I figure its an electrical probelm but im not to familar with this sort of thing. Not really sure if anyone can help cus this is probably due to someone not knowing what they were doing and wiring something wrong.. idk but any help is appreciated anyways. If it matters its 87 accord lx 2bbl carb

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're willing to pull the heater control panel and check the blower switch, you may find the switch is faulty. This will disable blower and AC. A shop manual is necessary to pull heater control panel w/o breaking plastic parts.

AC gauge manifold set req'd to check AC charge, or crude test is to remove schrader valve cap and depress pin to see if there's any charge left. If not, you'll need to have the system leak tested to locate leaks. Has the system been retrofitted to R134a?

good luck