General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight / Dimmer switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Default Headlight / Dimmer switch problem

Last night while driving I flipped my lights to high beam...they came on for just a second then went right back to low beam. The blue indicator light comes on but not the high beams. Now this morning i get in and start my car and the DRL light on the dash comes on. I turn the headlights on and the DRL light goes out and still no high beams. Have owned many hondas in the past but never have had this problem. Just want to get opinions as to where to start to trouble shoot this issue. Thanks for any help TEEK

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM

I have been reading some post with similar problems but not exactly the same as mine above. My question is could my DRL module be my problem for this year model honda. Most of the DRL module repairs I have read about have been on older model honda's with just one side of the high beam out. Thanks again for any help...TEEK

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Anything is possible.

You will have to do some electrical troubleshooting to figure out the problem. An 06 shop manual with some wiring diagrams or some input tests on the DRL unit will help you figure out the problem.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a U.S or Canada Accord? There is a difference for the DRL for the two. Regardless, I would check fuses first.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Redbull this is a US Accord. Do the US Accords have the same DRL module problems as the Canada models? I will start with the fuses this weekend and work from there. Thanks for the replys. PAhonda I am ordering a shop manual as we speak. Thanks TEEK

Old 01-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I can’t find anything definitive related to your high beams issue. Try this, if you hold the combination switch for the high beam, does it still do the same thing?

It can be due to different things, such as the combination switch, the MICU, the high beam relay, grounding, etc. The high beam relay is located within the relay control module in your under-hood fuse/relay box. The bad part of it is that it does not appear the high beam relay is separately replaceable or easily tested like some other relays (for example a fan control relay). The relay control module is part of the under-hood fuse/relay box.

But anything is possible, also check the bulbs.

Some General Headlight Info.
The headlight circuit is controlled by the Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU) system.
The high and low beam headlight relays are located within the relay control module (in under-hood fuse/relay box).
When headlight switch is turned on and the dimmer switch is set to the high or low beam position, the information from both switches is processed by the combination switch control unit and transmitted from control unit-to-control unit across the multiplex communication lines. The relay control module will then ground the appropriate high or low beam relay to operate the necessary headlights.
Because of the multiplex operation of the headlights, the headlights will always reset the low beams when the ignition key is cycled.
The combination switch control unit in the steering column receives information signals about operating conditions from the headlight switch and from the dimmer switch.

When dimmer switch is pulled back and moved to the flash-to-pass position, the information from the dimmer switch is processed by the combination switch control unit and transmitted from control unit-to-control unit across the multiplex communication lines. The relay control module will then ground the high beam relay to operate the passing lights.

Canadian vehicles use a DRL (Daytime Running Light) relay. Your U.S. model does not use a DRL relay.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Default Update

Just to update on my problem. Turns out I had the rare good luck that both my high beam bulbs went out at the same time. Replaced bulbs...DRL light went out and high beams work fine. I would still like to thanks those who posted a reply here. Its nice to know I can get some help here if I need it. Thanks again Teek