General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Smile Should I replace my starter?

Hi there,

I have a 2003 Accord LX with the 2.4L 4-cylinder and 5-speed manual transmission.

I had a mechanic today tell me that I should replace the starter in my Accord. It's never failed to start for me, but it sometimes takes quite awhile to crank over. It'll struggle, but it always does eventually start. It has brand new spark plugs.
I'm not convinced the starter actually needs to be replaced because the only time it'll struggle to start is when it's cold. Once the engine is warm, she always fires up again without delay. In the summer it's always started fine too.
Any insight? Does it make sense that the rough starts are just due to cold?

Thanks!!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM

What is the health of your battery?
Have the battery tested at 2 different auto part stores that test for free.
Sounds like it's the battery.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

When you have starting problems, is the starter spinning the engine at the same rate as a normal start? Or is the problem that then engine takes a long time to fire up, where the engine is running on its own and you release the key?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM

^ Agree.

If it is cranking fine and just taking a longer time to start when cold then you are likely looking at something other than the starter. What I have found over the years of working on these things is that a genuine Honda starter or a Denso rebuilt starter will last for 150k plus miles depending on how many times a day you are starting the car. Please post back with more info, and Welcome to the HAF community!

Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Thanks!!
djkurious; I know that the battery is fine. It's fairly old but was tested and checked out.

PAhonda; I'm not sure if I follow exactly what you're asking, but I think it's that the engine takes a while to fire up. In the summer when I turn the key I'll get maybe a "chug chug" and then it'll fire right up. Now in the winter when I turn the key I get a sluggish "chuuugggg chuuugggg chuuugggg" and then it fires up and idles a little rough for maybe 20 seconds before settling down. I'm sure there was a better way for me to have explained that haha.

Tuetlehead; The starter has had an interesting life. It's sat unused for several months at a time while I've been at school, but then also gone through periods where I'd be starting the car many, many times a day when I worked as a pizza delivery boy. I'm thinking the periods of no use and periods of excessive use maybe balance each other out?

To simplify things, I'll take a video later today of starting the car while cold and then again once it's warm and that might make this easier. Thank you!!!

Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Here's a video of a cold start that I took just now;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pTE...ature=youtu.be

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Sound indicates weak battery, faulty battery connection, faulty battery cable, or weak starter (solenoid contacts, dragging starter motor).

Either starter is not getting full battery amperage or starter is faulty.

good luck

Old 01-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what is cold to you? like where are you living?

slow speed cranks when the engine is cold only can also come from engine oil that is too 'thick' for the season.