General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporary loss of power and the check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Temporary loss of power and the check engine light

Check the ECU directly w/ keyswitch ON to read the LED's at mid-upper section of the module. ECU LED is left of center and TCU LED is right of center.

If that shows nothing, then suggest pulling the BackUp fuse for 20-secs to reset the ECU.

Good Luck

Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 PM

More Updates: Been tinkering almosr all day. If I keep my foot on the pedal at about 3000 RPM with the car out of gear, the RPMs will drop by about 1000 RPM on their own and it will start running rough. This is with my foot in the exact same spot.

I also took the oil cap off, while it was running and felt quite a bit of pressure. I don't think that is normal.......Now I am starting to suspect a bad head gasket.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

Check the ECU directly w/ keyswitch ON to read the LED's at mid-upper section of the module. ECU LED is left of center and TCU LED is right of center.

If that shows nothing, then suggest pulling the BackUp fuse for 20-secs to reset the ECU.

Good Luck
Read the code like stated here. Quit trying to guess what the problem is.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Ok, I'll try that. Where is the ECU located in a 90 Accord?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM

ECU and TCU are located in a metal box beneath the passenger's foot carpet. Pull back the carpet and it's easily visible.

See the DIY "Online Manuals" link and download the 91 Accord Manual from hondahookup.com. This provides detailed info on ECU location and much more.

good luck

Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM

I was able to get the check engine light to flas. I guess I did not have a good jumper connection yetserday. Looks like I have a code 43 (4 long flases and 3 short) and a 1 (one short flash)

Any input would again be appreicated.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:58 PM

This code is "Fuel Supply System" and is most likely an O2 sensor fault. Check the O2 sensor wiring for damage and connector for security, and reset the ECU by pulling the BackUp fuse in the under hood fuse box for 20 secs. Drive and see if code returns immediately.

If yes, an O2 sensor is probably the fix, unless you want to perform further diagnostics to definitively isolate the problem. Diagnostics will require a volt-ohm meter. If you don't want to perform diagnostics or have someone do them for you, check for an O2 sensor on ebay or other online sources. You should be able to find one for < $50.

Code 1 is an Oxygen content fault and also suggests a failed O2 sensor.

good luck

Old 11-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I changed out the O2 sensor and cleared the ECU and it seems to havetaken care of it. Drove it Monday and today with no issues.

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Smile same problem

Streetkit - I am having the exact same problem by your description with my 1990 Honda Accord. Starts kinda rough with surges, then warms up but still runs rough with reduced power. At some point, click, the engine smoothes out and the check engine light comes on. I assume this is a "limp" mode, whereby a sensor or control is bypassed to allow the engine to operate.

Was it your O2 sensor?

Thanx,

Talyn