Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

2010 Accord sedan HID install, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Default 2010 Accord sedan HID install, Help!

Just bought a 2010 Accord the other day. EXL-V6 4dr. I want to put HIDs in the low beams and fog lights. I'm about to order the 2 sets from DDM tuning and i wanted to know if anyone has instruction on installing them on the new generation accords. i searched through the forum but only found instructions for the previous generations. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, i'm thinking about order the 35watt kits for the fogs and low beams. Any insight on that? is there a big difference between the 35 and 55?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 AM

i dont have any instructions specifically, but its pretty straightforward, plug n play. if you know how to replace the headlight bulbs, then its not much harder at all. only hard decision to make is where you want to mount the ballasts. congrats on the car purchase.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM

I've read through out he forum that you need to install relays, to prevent melting of the wires, and resistors to prevent the HIDs from flickering. Are these things necessary?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

dont install it

Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah good advice . After seeing how much work i'll have to do to install HIDs such as resistors to prevent the flickering, relays, to prevent overheating/burning of the wires, and removing the bumper to install the lights. And on top of all of that, the reflector lamps won't shine the light properly. I just don't think it's worth all of that hassle if in the end the light will not work properly. Considering it's a brand new car i don't have the nerve to take apart the headlamp assembly to retrofit projectors in there to make it look proper. I think i'm going to stick with the halogen bulbs. Plus, i've seen some of my friend's cars who have installed HIDs in reflector lamps, and it just looks ugly. The light that is emitted is just scattered and is not clean at all. I don't want to blind on coming drivers.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:00 PM

^im glad to read you feel that way. if only the trucks with the big headlight and foglight reflective housings and aftermarket hid's thought the same way

Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Good choice, but really, installing an HID kit is literally plug and play. No resistors or whatnot required. However, on some vehicles you need a code eliminator to turn off the light out signal.

Simply remove halogen, put in HID, plug into ballast, plug ballast into oem wiring and thats basically it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:22 AM

it is true that HIDs are plug and play, but not for all cars. From what i have researched, as precaution you should add relays to control the power consumption otherwise you risk overheating or burning you wires. also if you have day time running lights like me, than you need to add a resistor to prevent flickering of the HIDs(only for the new slim digital blasts). Also true, some cars require additional add-ons to get rid of the "bulb-out" light.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM

good info nonetheless. 5 years ago when i had 2 diff aftermarket hid kits, i didnt use extra wiring or a relays. they were just plug n play, good lord those days they cost $350+ a set. then i went to oem lexus hid's for my projector retro. still not using relay etc. just sharing my experience.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

A relay may be used when hooking the HID directly to the battery. This allows the ballast to draw power from the battery instead of going through the OEM headlight switch. The main reason is to prevent the wear and tear on the oem switch.
I have a relay on mine.

I still have never heard whatsoever about adding resistors. I have digital slim ballasts and they do not flicker. There shouldn't be a difference between running them as DTRL or just as headlights.

Seriously, if you were to buy and HID kit, you can literally plug and play. No resistors, no relays needed. But I used a relay as a precaution.

Quick Reply: 2010 Accord sedan HID install, Help!