Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Default AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

Hi,
I have a 2005 Accord Coupe V6 ( 6 months old. 5000 miles on it). The problem started about a month ago.
Whenever I switch on the Air Conditioner, for the first 2 minutes a foul smell comes out of the blower.
The smell is so pungent, that I have to open my windows.
During my 1st oil change at the Honda Dealer, I brought this thing into his notice. He advised me to open the Air Vent when I switch on the AC. Well, that didnt help at all.
What could be the problem ? What should I do ?
Your help will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: AC gives a foul smell: PLZ help

do you notice when you are parked that a little puddle of water forms under the car? well thats because when your evaporator gets cold, water condensates on it. its like a cold beer sitting outside on a hot day. well when you turn the car off, the evaporator is still a little wet and if you have ever left a liquid sitting around for a while then you know what happens..... mildewww.......so you have to kill it. a good thing that i have always used is ozium. just turn on your a/c and spray some down under the glove box. just nuke the car out and let the a/c run for a while. after about 5 applications the nastyness should be killed.

one thing that i have always seen that absolutely stops that mildew are cars that are smoked it. for whatever reason cig smoke deposits just dont let anything grow on the evap. weird

Old 04-15-2006, 01:33 AM

If there is mildew, the probable cause is that the evaporator drain is clogged and the water is backing up into the cabin. This should be fixed ASAP since if the mildew gets into the metal in the floor pans then you will never be able to get it out. This should be covered under warranty if you have it.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:10 PM

Lightshow and AgentofDarkness,
Thank You so much for the advice.
I deeply appreciate your help.
Have a good one.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

a+

Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello
I tried Clorox/water on my '92 Accord. I took the blower's outer cover off and pried the two spring-loaded ports on the blower case, propping them open .5 in. It helped on the first application and the second application was made today. I diluted the Clorox in water (1 1/2 oz/pt) and sprayed it in the blower and A/C vents.

Ozium is good but I think the chlorine might work due to gas/liquid action on the fungi.

I'll keep you posted.

KAT

Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 PM

Assuming there are no mechanical problems this will provide 100% relief, PROVIDING it is applied correctly.
http://www.nokout.com/

I used to be a distributor for it and I still use it today.