Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Dash Cluster Light Color Change

Old 11-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Default Dash Cluster Light Color Change

Do you like this color? It is not really a color change,but I needed to replace the Bulbs and did an experiment on this old 96 Honda Accord Cluster.

The blue rubber sleeves on the old bulbs ripped off when I tried to reuse them.I knew it would happen,but letting you know its nearly impossible to transfer these rubber condoms from one bulb to another.

I then,installed new bulbs and the dash looked too pale,too boring,no blue color anymore,or just barely due to the partial blue plastic lens inside the clusters.I then went to a Hobby Store,bought a Glass Paint kit,and painted the bulbs a royal blue color.Let it dry 24 hours before install.

This paint is made for ceramics as well,and can withstand dish washing and high temps to 350 F or so.It has been over a week of using and it is working well.Hint,I did not paint the bulbs heavily,just coated them lightly because I did not want the light to be restricted from passing through the paint.I used a Q tip as a paint brush,and it worked well.

The paint is actually not like any paint I ever used before.Its sort of like liquified sticky candy or something.It cost about 6 bucks for the kit,and has a variety of colors to choose from.

Attached Thumbnails Dash Cluster Light Color Change-dashpic.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:08 PM

I forgot to add,That is not the best picture I have so far.If anyone wants more,I can retake them.At night,its a nice blue glow,and Im going to try some yellow and red next time.Im going to buy new bulbs and paint them separately,and just take turns trying them out.

These 194 bulbs cost me 80 cents each from my local mom and pop parts store down the street from my house.The chain stores are too much money.They want up to 4 bucks for a pair!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

That blue does look nice.

I'm in for a pic of the red, not real sure how the yellow will come out but what the heck.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM

It may be some time before I get to doing so,but I will for sure take pics.

One of the issues I will have,the top lights are behind a blue lens.The inside cluster speedo lens is also partial blue itself,so just adding red bulbs there might give off a purple glow instead.

Not sure...but will experiment.I dont have my dash cluster completely installed with the bezel and all,its just sitting in there plugged up,so I can remove quickly.without having to unscrew everything all over again.

Im going to order a new instrument cluster soon to replace this unit,since its broken in 2 areas,one being my fault,I snapped off the temp gauge needle.