Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

headlights need upgrading!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Default headlights need upgrading!

I had the sylvania bulbs in my car for almost a year before they burned out...which I expected as I had this problem in a past vehicle. I didn't realize how much of a difference they made until now that I'm back to stock. I can't see anything in front of me when it's dark out and raining. I'm thinking of converting over to HID's and just calling it a day. I had them on my BMW and loved them. The problem is I want to get the whole headlight and just install it, but I can only find one up to 2005, and I have a 07 SE 4-door. Please point me in the right direction...thanks in advance!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: headlights need upgrading!

a.) It's normal to not see anything when the roads are wet. Instead of the light being reflected back at your eye, it hits the water and bounces forward and up.

b.) You can't buy projector lamp assemblies with HID already in them.

c.) General consensus says, light output from projectors other than OEM is not good and scatters too much light. If you must go the projector route TYC and Anzo make the best. Major difference here is that OE projectors are glass and aftermarket ones are polyurethane.

d.) You can get a DDM Tuning HID kit for $40 now with a lifetime warranty.

e.) You can also retrofit, say, Acura TSX stock projectors into your headlamp, but it's pricey.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: finch13

a.) It's normal to not see anything when the roads are wet. Instead of the light being reflected back at your eye, it hits the water and bounces forward and up.

b.) You can't buy projector lamp assemblies with HID already in them.

c.) General consensus says, light output from projectors other than OEM is not good and scatters too much light. If you must go the projector route TYC and Anzo make the best. Major difference here is that OE projectors are glass and aftermarket ones are polyurethane.

d.) You can get a DDM Tuning HID kit for $40 now with a lifetime warranty.

e.) You can also retrofit, say, Acura TSX stock projectors into your headlamp, but it's pricey.
1. TYC DOES sell a projector lamp assembly and HID combination for just a little bit more money than just the lamp themselves.

2. If you're a little mechanically inclined, a decent retro can be done for about the same price as buying the TYC/HID combo. You can get TSX Projectors for about $150 for a pair, then you just need a D2S HID kit ($75-$300 Depending on quality. I have a $75 kit that has worked flawlessly), some bolts ($5), some JB weld ($10), shrouds of your choice (not needed, but will make it look better), and some time.

A retrofit is obviously the prefered method, however, if it isn't something you think you can do yourself, you're looking at spending at least $600 for someone to do it for you.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Easiest method by far is to mod HIR bulbs, slap them in and be on you way with a bulb setup that will outlast the sylvanias and give twice as much light as stock.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Easiest method by far is to mod HIR bulbs, slap them in and be on you way with a bulb setup that will outlast the sylvanias and give twice as much light as stock.
QF, most people don't know about the HIR bulbs. They are bright as hell. Definitely the best bang for the buck.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM

^ May get them for mah high beams when I blackhouse and paint the high beam reflectors yellow.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Holy crap, you guys are quick with the info. Everything I needed to know in a matter of hours. So just do a bulb swap with the HIR bulbs? Anybody know where I can get these? What is the DDM Tuning kit for $40? Is that "better?"

BTW, I know you cannot see anything in the dark/rain, but with a brighter bulb, at least I can see further ahead. Last night some lady was crossing the street with her dog, and ever though she had a beige jacket, I did not see until I was pretty damn close...freaked me out a little. Also, with the stronger lights you can at least see reflectors, lines, and other things easier to guide you.

Lastly, I'm not very mechanically inclined, I can do some simple things, but don't know too much.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM

The DDM Tuning kit is a HID kit. If you go HID get a color temp of 6000k or below. Anything above that, you begin to sacrifice functionality for looks. Hid kits are plug and play. VERY easy to install.

You can get the HIR bulbs at the auto parts store, or a place like Tractor Supply Co., you just have to modify the plug on the bulb a little bit.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: JMillerF23A

The DDM Tuning kit is a HID kit. If you go HID get a color temp of 6000k or below. Anything above that, you begin to sacrifice functionality for looks. Hid kits are plug and play. VERY easy to install.

You can get the HIR bulbs at the auto parts store, or a place like Tractor Supply Co., you just have to modify the plug on the bulb a little bit.
Is this what I'm looking at? Do I want the 55W upconversion for an additional $15? So does this kit just go right into where my existing bulbs are? Or will I need someone to help me install it, etc.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

Quick Reply: headlights need upgrading!